Do not change out your ac fan blower without trying something that I did which worked

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
When I began a restoration on a 73 vert 6 years ago, the ac blower "screeched" this horrible noise that sounded like ruined bearings necessitating the blower to be removed and replaced. I saw on other post that the chinese aftermarket blowers were terrible. I just knew there had to be another way. I reached under the dash driver's side to get a feel ( of what I did not want to do) and I noticed the bell housing had heat vents that surrounded the motor. I got a small tube and first tried injecting wd-40 directly into the motor by way of the air vent on the housing. The noise initially quieted, then started screeching again, I tried silicone spray and the same thing happened. Last ditch effort paid off, I took about 1/4 cup of F type ford transmission oil and pumped this directly into the housing with the fan on, it quieted immediately, in fact so quiet that at first I couldn't hear it, but very strong air, and the air coming out of the ac only smelled like transmission oil for a couple of days. That was 6 years ago and I use it everyday and it remains super strong and quiet! So, it's worth a try rather than pull the fan out, which I suspect is a tough job, and worry with sketchy replacement parts. jrs

Approximately a year or so ago, I took my mustang to a highly recommended shop here in Boise, because my heater/AC fan was getting noisy ocaisional chattering, ocaisional high pitched screaching. I had 'em check it out, with instructions to lubricate the motor shaft. They called me back saying the motor was no good. I instructed them to go ahead and replace it, if it's no good. They did, and the replacement motor just doesn't put out the volume of air from the vents, as the original motor did. Luckily, I asked for the old parts back. After lubricating the old motor shaft, I clamped the old motor in a vise on the workbench, hooked it up to a battery, and let in run full blast for two hours, perfectly quiet. That's all it needed. I'll never go back to those mechanics again. I swapped the old fan motor back in and it works perfectly and is dead quiet. WTF is with the noble profession of auto mechanics these days? It isn't rocket science...

Approximately a year or so ago, I took my mustang to a highly recommended shop here in Boise, because my heater/AC fan was getting noisy ocaisional chattering, ocaisional high pitched screaching. I had 'em check it out, with instructions to lubricate the motor shaft. They called me back saying the motor was no good. I instructed them to go ahead and replace it, if it's no good. They did, and the replacement motor just doesn't put out the volume of air from the vents, as the original motor did. Luckily, I asked for the old parts back. After lubricating the old motor shaft, I clamped the old motor in a vise on the workbench, hooked it up to a battery, and let in run full blast for two hours, perfectly quiet. That's all it needed. I'll never go back to those mechanics again. I swapped the old fan motor back in and it works perfectly and is dead quiet. WTF is with the noble profession of auto mechanics these days? It isn't rocket science...
I agree, I fix a lot of other "mechanics" mistakes. We don't all suck.

It's getting to be more and more of an issue with me. The root of my problem is, when I was 20, It was nothing to go to work for eight hours or better, then come home and dive under one of my projects, or bend over a fender until midnight, working on mechanical stuff. Now, at 68, I hate to admit this, but I'm not as excited about lying on my back on the garage floor as I once was. So, I try to find mechanics that seem to have a common interest in older cars. It's a tough road to hoe, finding guys good with their hands, common sense, and basic knowlege, all wrapped up in one. I have every volume of the shop manuals for my car in the trunk, and I let them all know that they can refer to info, but a lot of techs don't want to take on the work. I'm currently working on a new engine for my car, and forsee it as probably my last transplant and "in-chassis" engine job, should I have a say in it.

Most of the real mechanics retired or died some time ago, there are precious few remaining. Most of the "technicians" today will tell you to take the car somewhere else if it doesn't have an OBD port. Chuck

Part of their problem is ignorance. I didnt realize that buying a new A/C fan blower from whoever (4 Seasons Brand Motor) that it was a heater only motor which pushes much less air. The new motors have reverse polarity so you have to ground the red wire and attach the black wire to the motor resistor. You'll push more air as the motor is now spinning in the right direction but still not near enough. I managed to find an old motor on eBay and despite the description that it was tested and working properly, it was locked up. I had to cut the old squirrel cage off and then silicon lube the bearings. also used light weight lube oil. I let it run for half hour and it ran quiet. Installed and it works great to this day. The easiest way to replace the motor is to remove the gas pedal by removing the two bolts that hold the pedal bracket to the firewall and then move the pedal and drape it over the brake pedal. The motor slides right out.....of course after you disconnected it! So anyway, don't blame the mechanics as they were clueless as I was when I ordered the original replacement motor and with the help of an elderly gentleman on YouTube was able to ascertain that the motor was the incorrect application. Those mechanic fellas had no way of knowing it either. I filled a garbage can full of purchased parts that I couldn't use. I call it my can of failed attempts!.....which I'm sure we all have!

Most of the real mechanics retired or died some time ago, there are precious few remaining. Most of the "technicians" today will tell you to take the car somewhere else if it doesn't have an OBD port. Chuck
Sad but true. You have to take your classics to a speed shop where mechanics are still employed......the fellas with gray hair! Not the kids with a dumb phone in their hands.

Part of their problem is ignorance. I didnt realize that buying a new A/C fan blower from whoever (4 Seasons Brand Motor) that it was a heater only motor which pushes much less air. The new motors have reverse polarity so you have to ground the red wire and attach the black wire to the motor resistor. You'll push more air as the motor is now spinning in the right direction but still not near enough. I managed to find an old motor on eBay and despite the description that it was tested and working properly, it was locked up. I had to cut the old squirrel cage off and then silicon lube the bearings. also used light weight lube oil. I let it run for half hour and it ran quiet. Installed and it works great to this day. The easiest way to replace the motor is to remove the gas pedal by removing the two bolts that hold the pedal bracket to the firewall and then move the pedal and drape it over the brake pedal. The motor slides right out.....of course after you disconnected it! So anyway, don't blame the mechanics as they were clueless as I was when I ordered the original replacement motor and with the help of an elderly gentleman on YouTube was able to ascertain that the motor was the incorrect application. Those mechanic fellas had no way of knowing it either. I filled a garbage can full of purchased parts that I couldn't use. I call it my can of failed attempts!.....which I'm sure we all have!
Do we ever!

Post a pic please. I'd like to see it!

Sorry to the OP if we are hijacking your thread. I just thought that it will help someone looking for a stock replacement. As you can see there is a fiberglass fix that I did where the bracket attaches to the housing.

20201212_164958.jpg

Attachments

• 20201212_165020.jpg
    20201212_165020.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I want to make one more comment on this. Every time this subject comes up and I add my 2 cents in, I forget to mention something else. As I was at a loss of why the repro motors were not working well and wishing I had held on to my old motor, I researched high and low on the internet for answers. As I mentioned before, I was able to find a video on YouTube regarding the new repro motors to then ascertain that even though these motors were advertised as A/C-Heat blower motors, they were in fact Heat only. Heat only motors have reverse polarity and spin much slower than the A/C motors. I was dealing with Classic Auto Air out of Florida for my parts. I had purchased from them nearly a complete OEM style replacement system. The clamshell which included the heater core, evaporator and dampers with vacuum motors. Also, new modern compressor, condenser and hoses to round it all out. Given that, I was expecting a better grade of customer service than I got. With the motor fiasco, I called CAA tech support line and tried to explain my findings so that others would not be caught in the same situation. The guy I spoke to was Michael...no last name. As I began to explain the problem to him, he cut me off and said unequivocally that the older American cars had weak systems and the blowers did not have the force they do today. After he finished impressing me with his genius, I explained my findings but he basically blew me off as if though I had no idea what I was talking about. With all of this, they did manage to reproduce the correct A/C squirrel cage. However, they quit making it! The one thing about the blower that was correct!!! Anyway, if I had to do it all over again, I would pay the extra loot and get a modern system installed. When I was a kid, my dad bought a brand new 1975 Granada. That car had an excellent A/C system in it with sufficient air circulation and I had no complaints. So by experience, I knew better. That car was passed down to me in 1985 and I loved it.....I used to call it my Pimp car because it was classic 1970s brick with wheels.

When I began a restoration on a 73 vert 6 years ago, the ac blower "screeched" this horrible noise that sounded like ruined bearings necessitating the blower to be removed and replaced. I saw on other post that the chinese aftermarket blowers were terrible. I just knew there had to be another way. I reached under the dash driver's side to get a feel ( of what I did not want to do) and I noticed the bell housing had heat vents that surrounded the motor. I got a small tube and first tried injecting wd-40 directly into the motor by way of the air vent on the housing. The noise initially quieted, then started screeching again, I tried silicone spray and the same thing happened. Last ditch effort paid off, I took about 1/4 cup of F type ford transmission oil and pumped this directly into the housing with the fan on, it quieted immediately, in fact so quiet that at first I couldn't hear it, but very strong air, and the air coming out of the ac only smelled like transmission oil for a couple of days. That was 6 years ago and I use it everyday and it remains super strong and quiet! So, it's worth a try rather than pull the fan out, which I suspect is a tough job, and worry with sketchy replacement parts. jrs
Yep, I reused my blower motor. They have sealed bearings & the grease hardens and separates from the surfaces. I used a few drops of light oil to break it up and get it to coat again. I have no problems with mine either. I also try to avoid the Chinese disposables. Taking these out isn't bad if you yank the passenger seat and loosen the dash to where it's moveable. There's also a resistor configuration mounted on the housing (it works with the switch) that causes people to think the motor is bad when it's not.

Attachments

• IMG_4479.JPG
    IMG_4479.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Back