Drag race or road race look

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I've seen the logo for "Fibreglass Trends" on so many older Funny Cars, but I don't have any idea if they still are around. I'm sure there were/are others. Oh, I just remembered "Fibreglass Unlimited" and "Cal Automotive" , as well.

I found a few photos of road race style 71-73 cars. Hmmmmmm. I agree with the OP that our Machs come from the factory with road race styling, and should be naturals. But unlike the previous 69-70 models, which were raced pretty much how they looked, somehow the road racers tend to modify the 71-73s into something much less beautiful. This is my opinion. If a guy was going for the road race look and only lowered his car and ran Mini-lites with appropriate rubber, on the street, it would still look cool, but cripes, look at these road racers photos......kinda ugly to me. The dropped metalwork noses and front valence removal kills the front ends looks. That blue #11 looks like a plastic model kit that was left out in the sun and melted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years back, in maybe a Hot Rod Magazine article, someone had the idea of grafting a Plymouth Superbird/ Dodge Daytona nose on one of our 71-73 Mustang fastbacks, saying it was a pretty close fit to the mustang sheetmetal. I don't know if that's true but it was interesting to look at. It sure added more inches to an already long nose. With the slippery fastback ( Sportsroof, Sorry ), and some lowering, it looked like a rocketship on wheels. I wonder how it would fare out on the dry lakes?

I've always like the looks of a "Friday night drag racer", like something you'd see on a test-n-tune night that looks serious enough to run a good e.t., but street enough to drive it home ;)

My old 72 was actually road raced. My 70 currently is road raced. Both handle very well. My new Q code will get the suspension off my 70 car, and probably a spare set of minilite wheels. It will have most of the look. But it won’t be slammed so low. The middle of the front bumper on my 70 is below my knee. 1 and a half inch drop, plus short springs. Headers are about 2 inches off the ground. And they have 4 parallel tube collectors tucked right up to the floor. A real road race set up won’t work on the street.

Back