chrome power by ford valve covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Boss 302 covers had oil drippers on the inside.

Not a huge fan of chrome valve covers but if I were to use a pair those would be what I would want. The pair I have are blue:) good luck on the sale.

"Ford Cleveland 351C / 351M / 400 factory valve covers, chromed" for the title and "Original factory "Powered by Ford" 1971-74 351C valve covers that have been chromed by a customizer. Covers also fit the 351M and 400, though "Powered by Ford" lettering is specific to the earlier production." as part of your description.

Let the bidders sort the rest out for themselves.

FYI, the later 351M/400 covers omitted the outline and "Powered by Ford" lettering:

400valvecover.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the Boss 302 engines in '69-'70 could come with either the cast/finned aluminum covers, or, if they had stamped steel covers, they were chrome from the factory, not by the owner. However, I am not the last word in some of the details. Yes, the boss cars did have oil drippers spot welded to the undersides, that, I do know. There is also a difference in the stamping between the '69 and the '70 steel covers, most visually the corner by the oil cap differs, '69 is squared off, whereas the '70 is stamped with an indentation there. Either way, for real Boss covers should have the spotwelds slightly visable through the chrome plating on top. I am running a set of '70s on my '71 351c.
I think the 351 Cobra Jets came with oil dripper valve covers, but painted. I know the Boss 351 was fitted with the cast/finned covers, at least from what few I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Those look to be early 1970 Boss 302 valve covers. As Spike said, the corners are different between 1969 and 1970. The finned aluminum covers for most of the 1970 production. No finned covers in 1969. The 1970 B2, 1971 B1, and the 1972 351C HO got the finned covers. I run finned covers on my 1969 B2 Cougar to clear the roller rockers (oil drippers removed, screw down mounting). Those early 70 covers are worth a fair amount of money. Chuck
EDIT: I may have jumped too soon. They may just be chromed 351C covers. See pictures in the link.
https://www.boss302.com/vcover.php

Last edited:
Those "Powered By Ford" valve covers are likely chrome-plated original blue covers. Ford offered no standard or optional OE chrome valve covers for the '71-73s. The closest production cover would be the chrome "Powered By Ford" valve covers on the '69 Boss 302 and some early production '70 Boss cars. The '69-70 Boss 302 chrome covers had spot-welded oil baffle/fingers and slightly different shapes around the oil cap area between the two years. This minute difference makes each year's cover unique and worth $$$ to the serious Boss 302 parts collectors. The '70-style aluminum covers had the same oil baffle/fingers but were held in place with small screws and could be removed for use on a non-Boss engine. The chrome covers were discontinued when Ford released the finned aluminum covers, which we usually see on the '70 302 and '71-72 Boss/HO 351 engines.

There was a chrome valve cover sold by Ford Motorsport (now Ford Racing Parts) for many years. I sold many of those, and I still remember the part # and sell price (M-6582-C351R @ $54.95)! They were embossed "Ford Motorsport" but were discontinued years ago and were a great deal then.

Starting in '72, Ford phased in placing the emissions/engine family label on the driver-side valve cover below the oil fill cap area. There were numerous field reports from dealers and service garages that the labels were difficult to read and were being damaged from oil spills and solvents when attempting to clean them off. They were then moved to the upper part of the valve cover, where the "Powered By Ford" lettering was embossed. Problem #2, the decals were lifting off the valve cover since the lettering was not allowing the decal to lay flat. The fix was to eliminate the "Powered By Ford" embossing and to use the Ford oval only on the end of the valve cover. This was phased in from early to mid-'73. Given the sheer number of these engines used in Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles (400 CID engines in select Lincolns), there was a mix of both valve cover styles seen for a while.

I have a few pictures of the various valve covers. The first shows the oil "Fingers" on the underside of the chrome Boss 302 covers. The second shows the original emission/engine family decal location. Even though in a Gran Torino with no shock towers, the decal was still very difficult to read. The yellow box indicates the next area the decal was placed but was lifting because of the "Powered" embossing. The third shows the flat surface the emissions decal was placed after all the embossing was eliminated, except for a single Ford oval starting in '73. :)

Attachments

• 6582-69,70B2.jpg
    6582-69,70B2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6582-72-1.jpg
    6582-72-1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6582-73-C.jpg
    6582-73-C.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
Back