Compressor Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Is anyone familiar with the Charge Air compressors by Ingersoll Rand? I can pick up an 80 gal 2 stage 220V for $400 used from a guy about an hour from me. It is from 1988. Looks to be in very good condition and he says it works perfectly. Is it worth it? I am looking to upgrade my compressor for the new shop I put up as my old 20 gal craftsman is getting very tired and need something that can keep up with more tools. Thoughts. I don't want to break the bank on a new one.

It sounds like a good deal to me. A new one is between $2 and $3 thousand. Make sure it's a 1 phase, unless you have 3 phase power available.

I would have the seller put some air in it, 10 or 15 psi, drain it into a container and check it for rust and oil.

That is exactly what I was planning to use for filter. I was planning to put one at each outlet on the wall as I will be plumbing the shop for the air lines.

Something else to consider when designing your system that is often overlooked is drip legs and drop legs. Below is from an article I found not long ago. It will protect your tools over the long run and is simple to do when plumbing it the first time.

Drop and Drip Legs Condensation can take place in air piping systems even though after-coolers, dryers, receivers and separators are installed. When air lines are exposed, for example, to low ambient temperatures, moisture can condense. This is why drip legs should be installed at all low points in the piping system. A drip leg is a pipe extending downward from the bottom of the air line to collect any condensation flow in the pipe. They should be the lowest points in the air line and at any point where the air line dips to go around an obstruction.  An automatic trap or drain valve should be installed on the bottom of the drip leg.

A drop leg is a pipe coming from the top, rather than the bottom, of the main air distribution line to feed air to an outlet for tools or an air-operated device. The drop leg is taken off the top of the main line so that condensation does not easily flow into the drop leg. It should be designed with the tool air outlet coming off the side of the drop leg rather than the bottom so condensation will collect below the tool outlet. A drain or trap should be installed at the very bottom. All drop legs throughout the system should be taken from the top of a tee with a wide sweep return elbow. This reduces the chance of a carryover of condensation from the main header or branch line to the outlet.

Pipe Slope 

All lines in the system main and branch lines should slope or pitch downward at least 1" per 100 feet or less in the direction of the air flow to a drain point – drop leg, receiver, etc. This will allow condensation to collect at the low points where it can be trapped and removed.

That sounds like a good size. I think mine is an Ingersol Rand from Lowe's, 220 volt, two stage, 80 gallon 175 Lbs. max. It keeps up with a glass bead cabinet and actually cuts off when I am blasting parts.  

I just got moved from old garage to new. Long story but I got mine for free when I did get it brand new.

They are loud I had outside at old garage but put inside this time might move back outside. Also hook up to the hard lines using a short piece of hose to absorb vibration at the compressor.

About the only thing I worry about for moisture is for painting and there are some cheap tricks you can do there to take the moisture out. I have used same DA sander for over 25 years with no moisture filters ever. I took it apart the other day and was like new inside. I put a few drops of air tool oil in when I use it. I do blow down the compressor tank each time I use it. The blast cabinet came with a separator so I use it there.

I did also plumb like the info posted have blow downs and come off top with connections.

David

I recently upgrade my compressor to a Quincy 240V - 1 phase 2 stage 60 gallon. Cost was $1300 shipped to me. Every component on it was made in USA. I posted a thread about it here:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-a-little-garage-upgrade

Regarding air piping, IMO, the proper way to do it is with cast iron piping. It's a bit of a PITA and can be a little costly, but it won't burst or crack and is impervious to any auto chemical it may come in contact with.

Here's a great basic layout from Sharpe, the spray gun people. Note the drops are taken off the TOP of the piping, and the outlets are on the sides, with a ball valve drain at the bottom of every drop.

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Air+Piping+Layout

Wow Cast iron and all threaded fittings. PITA I think is an understatement. I was planning to use Hard L or Hard K copper and silver solder all of the fittings. We use L soft for linesets for AC systems and silver solder all the time with 410A which is under higher constant pressure than an compressed air system would ever be.

I think the piping would be Black Iron not Cast Iron. The fittings are cast but not the pipe. Some people do use PVC depending on what pressure you will be running in the pipes. I always turn the compressor off when not in the shop I have had pressure switches fail and it not shut off and blow the safety pop off valve. The only problem with copper is if there is vibration it can work harden and crack and it is expensive also.

David

Wow Cast iron and all threaded fittings. PITA I think is an understatement. I was planning to use Hard L or Hard K copper and silver solder all of the fittings. We use L soft for linesets for AC systems and silver solder all the time with 410A which is under higher constant pressure than an compressed air system would ever be.
Black pipe , steel pipe, cast iron. Having worked in manufacturing and industrial buildings for 20+ years, it's what I'm used to and prefer. 

There are lots of other options out there today as well. I'm considering trying out the HDPE/aluminum kits that are available. Cost is reasonable and it would be cake to install. Downside is the fittings are kinda pricey and not something you can get locally. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484023_200484023?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%20Compressed%20Air%20Piping%20%2B%20Accessories%20%3E%20Air%20Compressor%20Piping%20Kits&utm_campaign=RapidAir&utm_content=20923&gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdwxtTIP2OWwnzOCMv4B96yJhLwzOV-LusJ8d9xeR_2L7C6IW0Y6mHQhoCjkAQAvD_BwE

Back