Starter Solenoid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi ALL!

Tried to start my car so I could test my brakes I've been working on for a while and car wouldn't start. Grabbed a spare battery cable turned the key to the on position, touched the battery positive and the negative side of the solenoid and she started right up! Now that solenoid cost me 40 bucks and it's a D2ZZ I think which is supposed to be a decent part, not the crappy C7.....(insert numbers). I bought the D2ZZ at Mustangs Unlimited not too long ago, perhaps I should call them and see what can be done. Frustrating!!!

I really wish they would make an electronic starter relay. I've used a few C7's and they're said to be junk, bought two D2's and they turned out to be junk as well @ $40 a pop. 

I will order two relays from JEGS as I trust your guys's opinions and experience! Thanks!!

LOL, mine is genuine Autolite of unknown age scavenged from a parts car.

The only time I've had issues with starter solenoids is from high or extended current draw. Excessive cranking, bad cables or grounds, failing starter etc will all cause this. Now would be a good time to verify everything is in good shape with solid connections and grounds.

Back