Interior color change winter project - neat surprise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful job! What year is yours, 71? Is the color code from SEM the same for 72? I need to dye my white panels as well. My deluxe door panels are unfortunately repaired once already and I don’t think they could be made to look good enough for me again so does somebody else make a much better replica than the ones you bought?
I have the Mustang Market door panels on mine and I like the fit. It takes some time and nerve to trim the door release openings, though. Another member had an issue with the color (vermillion?) Not being correct but mine are black so no issue for me. Not sure how the white would match up.

BTW, I've had these in for about 25-30 years and they've held up very well.

I have the Mustang Market door panels on mine and I like the fit. It takes some time and nerve to trim the door release openings, though. Another member had an issue with the color (vermillion?) Not being correct but mine are black so no issue for me. Not sure how the white would match up.

BTW, I've had these in for about 25-30 years and they've held up very well.
Thank you Sherriff41, I'll check them out.

Beautiful job! What year is yours, 71? Is the color code from SEM the same for 72? I need to dye my white panels as well. My deluxe door panels are unfortunately repaired once already and I don’t think they could be made to look good enough for me again so does somebody else make a much better replica than the ones you bought?
Never mind on the question about what year, I see you said you had a specific door speaker grill for 71, so I'll assume it's a 71. So is the SEM color white for 71 the same as 72?
From what I can tell it is the same color and I’m extremely happy with the SEM paint and how it matches the color of the headliner.

My advise is to watch the YouTube videos on the prep work and follow the 4 step process. Be patient and go with many light coats vs. fewer heavy coats.

From what I can tell it is the same color and I’m extremely happy with the SEM paint and how it matches the color of the headliner.

My advise is to watch the YouTube videos on the prep work and follow the 4 step process. Be patient and go with many light coats vs. fewer heavy coats.
Thank you very much, can you please give me the part numbers that you used?

Last update for a while due to upcoming trip. Installed the glass tonight and will take a few weeks off. Hopefully seat covers will be done in that time and I’ll get my rear moldings back.
Your interior is really turning out great! Can't wait to see it complete. (y)

Thank you very much, can you please give me the part numbers that you used?
This is the interior paint I used from NPD. I used 6 cans of white between the door panels and pieces, quarter trim panels, headliner molding and a pillar pieces.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/int...ucts?search_terms=VP-15585&top_parent=0&year=
3 cans of black which covered the rear most fold down metal piece, both fold down trim panels, kick panels

https://www.npdlink.com/product/interior-paint-flexible-spray-black-satin/141634/202979?year=1971
One of these buy you could buy smaller if you were just doing the interior

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K25QSO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details
One of these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1DJDG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
And two cans of adhesion promoter
https://www.amazon.com/SEM-77723-XX...674311123&sprefix=SEM+adhesive,aps,196&sr=8-2

Hi Mark, Thanks so much for all the information !! I truly appreciate it! Mark P

mine needs a headliner. Im dreading trying to find someone competent enough to do that one.

@jowens1126 I've done several of these. I say go ahead and give the headliner install a try. They're not overly difficult if you have some patience. Pull perpendicular to the wrinkles to smooth them out. Have plenty of clothes pins, paper clamps, or as someone on here mentioned use windlace to hold the edges in place. You're not going to be cutting it until after it's fitted so if you have trouble you can just take it down and start over. Check on YouTube for how to videos and old Mustang Monthly magazines for articles.

I tried some white interior dye (spray on omni pak) from NPD and not at all happy with it (it also may be old). Did you use some type of sealer first? I am also doing white over some dark pieces. I used SEM stuff and it covered much better. I then topcoat with the NPD to get the correct shade of white.

Attachments

• 20230205_170042.jpg
    20230205_170042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
So I spent yesterday working on my Just Dashes door panels which turned out to be junk. The wood grain insert didn’t fit, the lock knob chrome area was completely incorrect,the door pull handle area was wrong and door handle cup just wouldn’t fit. The last straw was when I cut the power window hole about 1/4” too high because the door panel isn’t the same dimensions as the stock one so taking measurements off two old door panels didn’t do me any good. After getting pissed and walking away I was convinced by a fellow member here to just dye by original panels as they were in good shape.

Spent the morning dyeing them and reassembled the drivers side. Realized that the upper door pull handle sheet metal is stripped and I need to get a nut for it so it will go on later. Also installed the 71 specific speaker grille.

Overall I think they turned out pretty good.

I need to figure out how to fix the attachment points where a previous owner removed the door panel and broken the cardboard.
Can you glue a piece of sheet metal over the torn part with the proper hole cut for the fastener?

Back