What happened to...................

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Not wanting to get into peoples personal lives or any other reason for that matter, but as I've been somewhat more than active on the Forum for several years now, I've become quite "acquainted" with many members. However, it has become noticeable that many are no longer active. I hate to think they might have passed away or are suffering from any nasty illness, but what happened to.................... DonC, David, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs just to name a couple. I do see David on F/B sometimes on a couple of 71-73 sites, so I know he's at least still kicking, but what happened to..................

I know David was having issues with his computer or internet and finally said the hell with it. As you mentioned, he is active on FB. Don C I have wonder about myself. I was thinking about sending him a pm to see if he's ok. No one seems to know what happened to Don from OMS. I know some of the members become less active after their build is completed and others seem to come and go in spurts. I have to give credit to a lot of the older members who have been active in this forum over long numerous years. They are the ones who a lot of us depend on for their knowledge and expertise on these cars. As for myself, I check the site 2 to 3 times a day and if I think I can add some sound advice to a post I'll jump in, otherwise I sit back as an observer and try to learn a little.

Last edited:
I know David was having issues with his computer or internet and finally said the hell with it. As you mentioned, he is active on FB. Don C I have wonder about myself. I was thinking about sending him a pm to see if he's ok. No one seems to know what happened to Don from OMS. I know some of the members become less active after their build is completed and others seem to come and go in spurts. I have to give credit to a lot of the older members who have been active in this forum over long numerous years. They are the ones who a lot of us depend on for their knowledge and expertise on these cars. As for myself, I check the site 2 to 3 times a day and if I think I can add some sound advice to a post I'll jump in, otherwise I sit back as an observer and try to learn a little.
Thanks for your input.
I'm with you on checking the site and /or adding where I feel I can offer something useful. Without this site, I would be like Scholtz on Hogan's Hero's " I know Noooothing!!"

I joined back in 2012. I have basically remained in touch with the Forum consistently throughout all the years and up to the present.

In that time, i have seen many members come and go. This can be for many different reasons. ( For example,they might get bored or loose interest with the Forum, or they may experience a personal life changing event or events which stops participation for them.) I don't currently know what the latest stats are on total registered membership, but i would say a fair quantity of members have left or drifted away, but are still registered with the Forum. So how many remain active would be hard to guess. I happen to know that Don from Ohio Mustang has not been well for some time. As to his current situation, i'm sorry that i don't happen to know.

It has been my observation over the years, that there has always been a fairly consistent theme or pattern with member input and contribution with the Forum. I divide member input into three basic categories. 1. Core member group. These are the members that have a keen interest and enthusiastic approach to the Forum, and will contribute on a fairly regular basis covering a wide variety of topics. Over the years i have observed that this core member group has never really been very big at any given time, and also, members of the core group will come and go over any given time. The core member group could be described as the center stage, life blood/backbone or the engine room or the driving force behind the ongoing popular longevity of the Forum over the years. Without them the Forum would never be what it has been or what it is today. Hats off to all you guys!

2. The second category are members that stay in touch with the Forum on as well as on and off, and tend to post input from time to time when it suits them or when they find a topic that draws them in to make comment. For their own personal reasons, they don't tend to have the same keen interest or enthusiasm as the core member guys do. Again, i think the numbers here are limited as well. 3. The third category are members who have joined up, but don't participate either hardly at all, or not at all. That of course is of their choosing, and there can be many reasons why they choose to play it that way. I call them the silent majority, as their numbers outweigh the category 1 and 2 members hands down. They are happy enough to suck and feed from the Forum, but are not interested in giving anything back to it.

Lastly, having a passion coupled with interest and enthusiasm to regularly participate for any Forum member comes down to a self driven motivation. It would be fair to say that the politics of this Forum,or the way it's managed or run, show that self driven enthusiasm is what mainly drives the show on, not generated from management itself. This could be a good explanation as to why members come and go and fade away over the years, as speaking in general terms, people's enthusiasm can be a tricky thing to constantly sustain over long periods of time

For me, i have always enjoyed participating in good conversations with people in general, from around the World, and i like to give away my knowledge and input in the name of helping other people if i can. That's what motivates me to have been a fairly constant member over the years. Sure, there have been flat spots where i have lost some interest in participating, but i always stay in touch with this Forum and like to add my 2 cents worth when i can. For the first 8 or so years i was a category 1 member guy, but i slipped into a catergory 2 member guy after experiencing a few setbacks with my involvement with the Forum in general. But that is another story. Also, owning my '73 Vert is my personal passion and i say thanks to all the Forum members who have given out their knowledge to the Forum covering many Mustang topics. They have been a great help to me in expanding my own knowledge base about these cars as well. Thank you .

Thanks to all Forum members who have been very kind and giving to me and reached out over the years. It's much appreciated indeed.

Greg.;)

Last edited:
I joined back in 2012. I have basically remained in touch with the Forum consistently throughout all the years and up to the present.

In that time, i have seen many members come and go. This can be for many different reasons. ( For example,they might get bored or loose interest with the Forum, or they may experience a personal life changing event or events which stops participation for them.) I don't currently know what the latest stats are on total registered membership, but i would say a fair quantity of members have left or drifted away, but are still registered with the Forum. So how many remain active would be hard to guess. I happen to know that Don from Ohio Mustang has not been well for some time. As to his current situation, i'm sorry that i don't happen to know.

It has been my observation over the years, that there has always been a fairly consistent theme or pattern with member input and contribution with the Forum. I divide member input into three basic categories. 1. Core member group. These are the members that have a keen, enthusiastic approach to the Forum, and will contribute on a fairly regular basis covering a wide variety of topics. Over the years i have observed that this core member group has never really been very big at any given time, and also, members of the core group will come and go over any given time.

2. The second category are members that stay in touch with the Forum on and off, and tend to post input from time to time when it suits them or when they find a topic that draws them in to make comment. Again, i think the numbers here are limited as well. 3. The third category are members who have joined up, but don't participate either hardly at all, or not at all. That of course is of their choosing, and there can be many reasons why they choose to play it that way. I call them the silent majority, as their numbers outweigh the category 1 and 2 members hands down.

Lastly, having a passion coupled with interest and enthusiasm to regularly participate for any Forum member comes down to a self driven motivation. It would be fair to say that the politics of this Forum,or the way it's managed or run, show that self driven enthusiasm is what mainly drives the show on, not generated from management itself. This could be a good explanation as to why members come and go and fade away over the years, as speaking in general terms, people's enthusiasm can be a tricky thing to constantly sustain over long periods of time

For me, i have always enjoyed participating in good conversations with people in general, from around the World, and i like to give away my knowledge and input in the name of helping other people if i can. That's what motivates me to have been a fairly constant member over the years. Sure, there have been flat spots where i have lost some interest in participating, but i always stay in touch with this Forum and like to ad my 2 cents worth when i can.

Thanks to all Forum members who have been very kind and giving to me and reached out over the years. It's much appreciated indeed.

Greg.;)
Well explained Greg.

I’m not a “technical “ contributor to this site . I will jump in from time to time but leave many of the technical responses to other more knowledgeable members. I have tried to “help” other members here with hard to find used parts as i have accumulated parts over the years. I know some sites recognize members with awards for going above and beyond. In fact this site used to do that with the special badges on your profile. That seems to have faded away now.

I’m not a “technical “ contributor to this site . I will jump in from time to time but leave many of the technical responses to other more knowledgeable members. I have tried to “help” other members here with hard to find used parts as i have accumulated parts over the years. I know some sites recognize members with awards for going above and beyond. In fact this site used to do that with the special badges on your profile. That seems to have faded away now.
Good reply Sprint!

Your point backs up my comment on self motivation/ enthusiasm of Forum members keeping the show on the road. Also, it was me that came up with the idea of starting the What's in a name segment. Management initially backed me up with it and left it to me to manage and run it. However, when the Forum went through major Internet platform revamps, the segment didn't work properly anymore. I approached management to help me out, but nothing got done. The segment is now long time abandoned.

Greg:(

Last edited:
Great post Geoff!!

As a relatively new member to the site I am curious at times about members who spend 10 (+) years and make thousands of posts who seem to disappear from the forum. I’ve read thru many old posts with names I don’t recognize and I always click on the user to see when the last time that unknown (to me) member was on the site. It is an interesting topic for sure.

Unfortunately I have found a few who have passed but many appear to have either lost interest, sold their car or just moved on. Even a couple that have been banned from the site.

Like most here I am on many many other mustang sites but I feel this site is better than most and the members genuinely seem to care about helping.

I think @Austin Vert Greg makes several great points in his post, I am in that group that has a passion coupled with interest and enthusiasm to regularly participate. But, mostly I post about my own car etc. so I am one of the regular guys that falls more into self driven motivation. Greg - I also use the What’s in a name forum regularly to try to put a real name with a user. Thanks a ton for that it’s very helpful

Like @72MustangSprint Joe I’m not a technical advisor or body man so my contribution ratio is closer to 75% take and 25% give. 😂 . Again, as I say I don’t know Joe outside of the forum but he was one of the first to really engage with me when I started posting a couple months ago and that added to my enjoyment of the site. Also I will admit, as strange as it may sound I feel a real bond with several members that I regularly communicate with thru the site, even though I’ve never met them face-face. I like it here and I feel grateful to have a place to share with like minded people.

I’m glad the wheels are still turning and the lights are still on.

Great post Geoff!!

As a relatively new member to the site I am curious at times about members who spend 10 (+) years and make thousands of posts who seem to disappear from the forum. I’ve read thru many old posts with names I don’t recognize and I always click on the user to see when the last time that unknown (to me) member was on the site. It is an interesting topic for sure.

Unfortunately I have found a few who have passed but many appear to have either lost interest, sold their car or just moved on. Even a couple that have been banned from the site.

Like most here I am on many many other mustang sites but I feel this site is better than most and the members genuinely seem to care about helping.

I think @Austin Vert Greg makes several great points in his post, I am in that group that has a passion coupled with interest and enthusiasm to regularly participate. But, mostly I post about my own car etc. so I am one of the regular guys that falls more into self driven motivation. Greg - I also use the What’s in a name forum regularly to try to put a real name with a user. Thanks a ton for that it’s very helpful

Like @72MustangSprint Joe I’m not a technical advisor or body man so my contribution ratio is closer to 75% take and 25% give. 😂 . Again, as I say I don’t know Joe outside of the forum but he was one of the first to really engage with me when I started posting a couple months ago and that added to my enjoyment of the site. Also I will admit, as strange as it may sound I feel a real bond with several members that I regularly communicate with thru the site, even though I’ve never met them face-face. I like it here and I feel grateful to have a place to share with like minded people.

I’m glad the wheels are still turning and the lights are still on.
They used to give a “badge “ to members who met other members face to face . In fact we would post pics of the meeting as irrefutable proof of said meeting. When I was a OTR (over the road ) trucker , i would make contact with other members I didn’t know IRL. I met a few before that feature went away. I think it really added a family atmosphere here and considered a few real friends. That among other things set this site above a lot of other Mustang forums. In fact i took a trip this winter and met Mike (Motorcity Mustangs ) and he took time out of his day to meet me and tour his car collection. Maybe this can be revisited. Let me add that this feature was used both by members from the USA and other members including several from Europe and Australia.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your input and thoughts on this subject. There is some very interesting reading from you all and very good points raised
A bit off subject, but I will say that I'm not a fan of the "reaction score" part. I feel it unfairly shows some members, myself especially, appear to be more knowledgeable than others and that's not necessarily the case. I'm just way more active than a lot and that's partly because I have the time to be on here. I add what I can from what I've learned and the bulk of that has come from people like DonC and many others. Thank you.

Anyone remember Q and his excellent videos? I wonder where he is now...

Anyone remember Q and his excellent videos? I wonder where he is now...
Hi Randy,

Would that be Q Code 351 - Scott? If so, yes i do remember him very well. His contribution was great and he added a lot to the Forum with all his tech help and feedback on a wide variety of topics. A real character. I did get the impression though, that he kind of lost interest in the Forum in general, and eventually moved on to pursue or concentrate on matters involving his business interests and hobbies. I may be wrong there, but they were my own personal thoughts on it. His input is missed as well, as also a few other guys that were real fun characters who gave and contributed a lot to the Forum and kept us entertained and informed while adding some good spice to it all.

Greg

Last edited:
I pop on from time to time.

I spend more time on FB since forums were blocked from my work computer

I am almost able to drive my car reliably. Took it from basket case to present in about three years after sitting in basket case since 1989

Me going to senior prom in 86

Attachments

• IMG_3315.jpeg
    IMG_3315.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2223.jpeg
    IMG_2223.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Not wanting to get into peoples personal lives or any other reason for that matter, but as I've been somewhat more than active on the Forum for several years now, I've become quite "acquainted" with many members. However, it has become noticeable that many are no longer active. I hate to think they might have passed away or are suffering from any nasty illness, but what happened to.................... DonC, David, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs just to name a couple. I do see David on F/B sometimes on a couple of 71-73 sites, so I know he's at least still kicking, but what happened to..................
It is houghtful of you to ask. I hope my more recent lessening of responding to various posts has not alarmed anyone. There are times then a post has gotten some very excellent responses and answers to technical questions, and rather muddy the waters I just leave things alone. Other time I will chime in and point out what good response have been sent, and then leave things alone. That said, I do enjoy offering my thoughts where it makes sense, and when I have something I feel is worth saying. Perhaps my posts and replies are a bit long, but I like to leave no stone unturned to help prevent misunderstandings.

I am in the camp that believes short, to the point responses are preferable to sharing minutia and rambling details that don’t support the question directly. I learned the value of direct messaging to request details from a contributor I didn’t understand as opposed to posting questions that prove my ignorance to all. Or, “It’s better to remain silent and thought a fool, as opposed to speaking up and erasing all doubt.”

It is houghtful of you to ask. I hope my more recent lessening of responding to various posts has not alarmed anyone. There are times then a post has gotten some very excellent responses and answers to technical questions, and rather muddy the waters I just leave things alone. Other time I will chime in and point out what good response have been sent, and then leave things alone. That said, I do enjoy offering my thoughts where it makes sense, and when I have something I feel is worth saying. Perhaps my posts and replies are a bit long, but I like to leave no stone unturned to help prevent misunderstandings.
Professor Hale's insights are always welcome!

Back