Measuring the front

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

I got a quick question. What is a good point to use as a reference to offset the front of the frame? (Red arrow)

IMG_0538.jpeg

I was thinking if putting something tight between the top of the front suspension and make the RH side to match the LH side. Would that work?

Reason for asking is of course coz I’m gonne have to start welding the battery apron back in.

Cheers,
Vincent

This chart shows the references Ford used. A trammel makes it measures somewhat easier.

Edit: It seems I've used a diagram with some dims at firewall to references on fender aprons and core support. If I find it, I'll post it up...I think that info would be much more useful than below.

framedimensions1.jpg

Last edited:
The best I can do for you. I did use a metric tape though.... ;) All panels on this car are original, no accidents or replacements.

1692032622227.png

The opposite end where I hooked the tape at the cowl.

1692032645313.png

The dimension when referenced off the radiator clamp. This was as close to a perpendicular measurement I could get on a fully assembled car.

1692032760166.png

Cheers guys, I’m in vacation in France right now though. I’ll see what I can do with the measurements when I get home again.

Vincent.

Thanks guys, in the end I used a lot of different measurements and a lot of points. The most useful one was actually from the front of the car to the top of the windshield edge (roof). Everything positioned quite nice in the end!

Back