How to preserve build sheets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received the build sheets when I purchased my 73 vert. The are not in the greatest shape. I was wondering if anyone has laminated theirs? I didn’t know if the heat would destroy them or not. Here’s the condition of mine. They were just in a file folder

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I found 3 build sheets in my car, two behind the d/seat and one under it at the front.. I laminated 1 to use as a show piece and I place it on the dash along with other interesting documents.
I did laminate the original window sticker as it was in a delicate state and also the red factory invoice. Kinda wish I hadn't done that one, but it is what it is now.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
When I bought my car I received a number of supporting documents but no build sheets. I do believe there is a possibility that the build sheets remain inside the vehicle. Should I assume that they might be found underneath of the carpeting? Or possibly under rear seat cushions?

When I bought my car I received a number of supporting documents but no build sheets. I do believe there is a possibility that the build sheets remain inside the vehicle. Should I assume that they might be found underneath of the carpeting? Or possibly under rear seat cushions?
From what I know, which is not much, they are usually under the carpet underlay as in my pic. and usually on the driver side. I had 3 in mine, which I believe is quite rare. Take a look, you might get lucky.

As Stanglover Said, Once the underlayment tar permeates the buildsheet paper there is not much you can do. The tar just dissolves everything over time. I tried different light spectrums, scanning and digitizing it, and then magnification. It helped in some places where the tar damage was light, but not much success. I had the car's original invoice and fortunately, I found many of the original paint marks. Along with the bits and pieces I could extract from my car's buildsheet and looking at as many other build-sheets with similar options and build dates as close to mine as I could find posted online, I was able to fill in almost all of the blanks, with the exception of a few, including the rotation #, which is unique to each car.

I then decided to recreate my car's build sheet the best I could. Using a windows font development program, I designed the characters (Size, Shape, Spacing, color, and fuzzy appearance) to match the ones used by Ford. I can now type the buildsheet up in MS word using my custom font, and the buildsheet image as a word document form in the background and then print it on my HP Deskjet printer using thin legal size paper. I then trim it to buildsheet size, fix the inkjet ink to prevent the ink from running from water damage, I use my made in china handy dandy ring binder 18 hole punch (need 20 holes on each side). Finally with the ink fixed and holes punched, I then lay the buildsheet flat in a cookie baking sheet with a 1/2"+- of black tea water for about 1-2 minutes to create the discoloring and staining. I dump the water and place the buildsheet in the oven on the lowest setting to dry it as fast as possible without heat damage. It was a good amount of work, but in the end, it was worth it. A least it was for me anyway.20171117_205609-1x.jpg

Attachments

• copper 73 buildsheet large .jpg
    copper 73 buildsheet large .jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 73 Copper Mustangr Buildsheet Font.jpg
    73 Copper Mustangr Buildsheet Font.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back