Honeycomb taillight panel - 1971 flip-down vs. 1972 screw cap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
I had an opportunity to photograph one of each, side-by-side today.

Top is the original 1971 design with a large center opening for flip-down gas caps. To my knowledge, this piece is not reproduced.

The bottom is the smaller 1972 design made to hide the painted sheet metal under the now-smaller screw-on cap, and is presently reproduced:

2ujgk1w.jpg

Part number on the '71 piece - D1ZB-63423A42-AB:

245d20p.jpg

Part number on the '72 piece - D2ZB-63423A42-AA:

2061jwj.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on going with a flip down cap on my newly purchased and installed honeycomb tail light panel, I guess it will be cutting wheel time soon?

I am planning on going with a flip down cap on my newly purchased and installed honeycomb tail light panel, I guess it will be cutting wheel time soon?
Honestly, I don't know. The flip-down cap might fit just fine over the smaller hole.

-Kurt

Honestly, I don't know. The flip-down cap might fit just fine over the smaller hole.

-Kurt
I got this kit from OMS and it fits my repop flip-open cap perfectly.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2219

The flip-open cap fits the smaller hole, and flares out from there to become 'full size.' It's pretty much and optical delusion at that point. ;) :D

45849_869701746374078_6691708998142879380_n.jpg

I got this kit from OMS and it fits my repop flip-open cap perfectly.
That panel is from the '72 tooling.

If your flip-open fits over it just fine, then the '72 panels can be use with the '71 flip-open caps without modification.

-Kurt

It also does not require any paint around the gas cap area for, "you know... just in case," purposes. ;) :D

Good info, I have a car where the honeycomb was left off. I am going to get a flip down cap as well. It looks right on a classic car.

Since we are talking about pop open caps. I have been told by a couple people that put the repo on, and it was Drake, not to waste my money. It would not stay closed.

Are there any repos that work like the original or just the cap with cover? Will they clear the metal panels like on verts?

Thanks,

David

I can confirm the flip open works just fine, here are a couple of shots. You do still need to paint by the taillight

299yq8.jpg

2wfjpjb.jpg

Since we are talking about pop open caps. I have been told by a couple people that put the repo on, and it was Drake, not to waste my money. It would not stay closed.

Are there any repos that work like the original or just the cap with cover? Will they clear the metal panels like on verts?

Thanks,

David
I have sold many of the repro caps

Drake and ACP version ... has twist on inner safety cop only - no plunger type seal

Other import - has parts to use as plunger style or with safety cap

No complaints of not staying closed ?

While the caps will clear the metal panel - they will not clear the straight trim strips. You will need to get the Mach 1 strips with the notches

Don

I am running a flip open gas cap I bought from OMS and it is very very nice, it is a very high quality part and like it alot more then the twist on. Oh and it has never fell open even on our roads sround here lol.

I have a 1972 Mach1 and I put a flip down gas cap on about 20 years ago while you could still get NOS parts without mortgaging the house. I never had to make any modifications and it fit beautifully. I have noticed some slight changes in the reproductions from original Ford part but other then the safety screw in cap they only seem to be cosmetic and should fit without any modifications.

Back