Sound off if you have a Boss 351 or '72 R-code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original owner 72 R code.  Possibly thinking of a factory restoration.  It was originally dark green but it's now black.  Still have the # matching motor sitting in the garage.   There's about 40,000 miles on it and just sits in the garage for the last 30 years.
Yeah Hemikiller this is the one I was referencing.  For the 72 R code they mention. is their 72 R code a Hardtop, Sportsroof, Mach 1, Grande or Convertible?  Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!

R code what???????

What body type?

Mach 1's most common - still ultra rare.

Ray
Only 2 choices with R-code within the context of this site - 71 Boss 351 or a 72 351HO. 

Car I was talking about was a Boss 351 (aka - B351)
 Agreed.  THX

Ray

Original owner 72 R code.  Possibly thinking of a factory restoration.  It was originally dark green but it's now black.  Still have the # matching motor sitting in the garage.   There's about 40,000 miles on it and just sits in the garage for the last 30 years.
Yeah Hemikiller this is the one I was referencing.  For the 72 R code they mention. is their 72 R code a Hardtop, Sportsroof, Mach 1, Grandé or Convertible?  Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!

R code what???????

What body type?

Mach 1's most common - still ultra rare.

Ray
Only 2 choices with R-code within the context of this site - 71 Boss 351 or a 72 351HO. 

Car I was talking about was a Boss 351 (aka - B351)
 Agreed.  THX

Ray

In '71, all R-codes were the Boss 351 model.

In '72, the R-code became the 351HO engine option, and was available in any body style of Mustang sold. 

Yes, there are differences between the M1, B351 and base sportsroof. Some good reading on the subject:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=11017

Original owner of my 71 Boss, built 12/1/70. Concourse trailer condition. Details available in article by Jim Smart in October 2012 Mustang Monthly magazine and in my profile. Will never part with it until....

Just received my copy of Rick Ybarra’s Boss 351 book.  Great job.  Bravo.  Everyone should get a copy.

He states at the time of printing in 2016 he had identified only 20 or so 72 R’s.  There are 13 so far that I counted on this forum thread.

Plus the one I owned in the past and have one now.  15.

Plus there is a yellow coupe I’ve seen a magazine article on.  He put some period correct looking “351 H.O” fender decals on it.  He posted on FB that it burned.  Plus there is another guy I spoke with via email a couple months ago that had to sell his super nice red one.  So that is 17.  I saw one at Russo and Steele in AZ 15+ years ago. There was a coupe for sale in the early 90s in N.C. I was interested in. 19. 

No idea if Rick included any of these in his count of 20.  So less than 40 accounted for regardless.  With one known destroyed.

25 years ago I attempted to start a registry.  The Internet was young.  It didnt get much traction. Someone sent me all the VIN info they had from an earlier effort.  I’m a bit of a pack rat, so I’m sure I still have it.  No idea where I put it though.  I think it had about 12 or 15 cars on it.  Might have been sent from Tim Cole.  I’ve pulled a lot Gs and suffered through one batshit crazy now ex wife since then.  Forgive me for forgetting some of the particulars. 

My ex 72 R code.  Originally medium Lime green metallic.  Mach 1 with deluxe black interior, AM 8 track and magnums.  No fold down.  Mixing it up at Hallett motor speedway in OK, probably 20 years ago.

dandavehallet02.jpg

A friend of mine in northern Alberta asked me to find and restore a rare

1972 Mustang. So, I searched and found this 1972 R Code Mach 1 in Grabber Blue. Originally came from PA (so I added a PA license plate to the front). Only 366 R Codes were made in 1972; so that means the '72 R Codes (in Coupes, Fastbacks, or Mach 1's) are the rarest (and least known) Mustangs ever. They are almost identical to the 1971 Boss 351's, except for the name and hood-paint, open-chambered heads instead of the closed chamber heads in the 71. They also can run on pump gas. No A/C allowed (the 3.91 trac.lok rear end would burn out the AC compressor); all came with 4-speed trannys.

Beautifully done post.

Jim Smart wrote an article on my B1, including pictures, in the October 2012 issue of Mustang Monthly magazine.

Hi guys. I'm new to this site but now after storing my 71 Boss 351 and 72 HO sports roof for 25  years they are now active projects. I doubt either has been counted so we may be able to add 2 more cars to the list.

Could you post a few pics of your R codes? Particularly your 72. What is the VIN? Mine is 2F02R175496.

How many previous owners of your 71 Boss?

When I said "active" projects I mean I am gathering the last of the parts to start the physical restoration process. I do not have any pictures as they are still in my storage building so no pictures at this time. My car is a lot later production than 6972boss's car as it was produced April 15th. The HO car is out of Phoenix so it's pretty solid but has really been abused and UGLY. It was originally Pewter and now White, paint brush I think. At some point it was hit in the front just hard enough to warrant a new hood (non ram air type hood) bumper and grill but other than that not too bad.

I did pick up a fairly complete B1 motor Friday but I still need a bell housing and clutch fork ...and ??? to start putting te B1 back together. 

The B1 is out of California and I am aware of 2 previous owners  but they both just turned the car. Don't know of any way to research previous owners in California.

You could get a Marti report and locate the original owner who might be able to continue the string. Regarding the restoration, if you have the Autolite 4300 D carburetor, then the other items will be much less problematic to obtain. There are members following these posts that may well have the items you mentioned.

I wish I had written down the VINs of the three R Codes I have seen here besides the ones my Dad owns. One was featured in Mustang Monthly in 80s or 90s, I think with the muscle at auction boom it left the state. The second I came across for sale in 97 for $3500 and I had a baby on the way and wasn’t able to buy it. The third is nothing but a shell in a hollow behind a local ford guys house engine and trans are gone.

Back