Fun Question - Test Your 71 -73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
As many of you are probably aware, the '71 - '73 mustang share many of the exact same body parts.

For those of you who may not know certain things which could prove valuable in your restoring and/or modifying efforts, I propose a weekly question to be posed to Forum members to see who will be the first to respond correctly. This should be a FUN event and may very well increase our own knowledge.

The question for this week is:

Why are the front fenders of the '73 mustangs different than those in '71 and '72?

Who will be he first to respond with the correct answer?

BT

Why are the front fenders of the '73 mustangs different than those in '71 and '72?

BT
Because of the new "rubber" bumper introduced on the '73, is my guess.

GREENGOLD,

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.

As a result of the new federal guidelines relative to impact resistance in the event of a minor accident, Ford had to respond by revising the front bumper on the '73s.

As a result of that change, the front fenders on the '73 mustangs had to have some minor contour changes at the front in order to clear the bumper.

This is something to keep in mind if you are swapping out a fender.

Good Job, GreenGold!!

BT

As many of you are probably aware, the '71 - '73 mustang share many of the exact same body parts.

For those of you who may not know certain things which could prove valuable in your restoring and/or modifying efforts, I propose a weekly question to be posed to Forum members to see who will be the first to respond correctly. This should be a FUN event and may very well increase our own knowledge.

BT
because of the new bumper law you would not be able to see the lights if they were placed in the same place as the 72's. The front fender was a tad longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That, too is correct 72.

It still comes back to the bumper - - you guys are on it!!

I will have to devise more difficult questions in the coming weeks:).

Bt

Back