How hard is it to install a windshield 73 Convertible?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
So my windshield is cracked and I found a good deal for a replacement including installation for around $250 or $150 shipped.  The problem is my 73 Convertible is in need of extensive restoration  (Inner rockers, Rear quarters, Cowl, fender aprons, floor pans).  For this reason I think I'd be better off installing the windshield myself after all the repairs are made.  I tried installing one on an 89 Firebird, but it leaked.   :-/  Anyone here have some advice on tools needed to remove the trim, types of sealers/gaskets + installation methods?

Chet

Last edited by a moderator:
I would wait until most, if not all the rust repairs,are made. Just pay the $250, not worth it leaking or cracking

If you have rust repairs in all those places you will have under the windshield. There is a space along the bottom of the windshield that catches leaves, needles and stuff over time and usually rusts the upper cowl.

Putting a windshield on one of this is pretty straight forward. You buy the proper 3-M windshield adhesive that will cost about 30 - 35.00. When they do the body work they should smooth out all the areas where the windshield lays and hammer and dolly as flat as possible. You put the strip of windshield sealer in place and put the windshield on top of it and seat it.

You will also want to polish your stainless trim and make it shine.

You will probably save by letting someone else do it the adhesive is expensive and they buy lots of it.

Is this a special car that you are putting all the effort in? Sometimes better to find one not so rusty than to have to rebuild the entire car.

BTW all California or desert cars are not rust free you have to go look pictures lie.

i got a price of $280, windshield with installation for my 73 'vert, i think that's fair

When I had mine installed I had them take it out and come back a week later to do the install so I could do some rust repairs that needed to be taken care of. It was well worth the $275 cost to have them do it.

I've installed several without a leak. The butyl tape is a beeotch to get out. That said, wait until you're ready to hit the road before installing a new windshield.

Back