Engine buffs: why do our engines need to warm up?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that has made me laugh over the years is people wonder why their car has driveability issues when they attempt to rid the engine of all those "evil" emissions controls.

The thing that has made me laugh over the years is people wonder why their car has driveability issues when they attempt to rid the engine of all those "evil" emissions controls.
+1, many people made their performance and gas mileage worse, not understanding how it was all designed as a system to work together.

I haven't seen it yet in post. The biggest thing that helps with atomization is the ported exhaust that is crossed over the bottom of the intake manifold. That quickly heats up the bottom of the manifold to allow for quicker atomization. By the way, it also kills performance when hot because it heats up the incoming air, counteracting all the cool air brought in by our ram air systems. The choke is the main thing to keep cold cars running by forcing a richer mixture that counteracts all the liquid fuel from a stone cold engine

Back