New or rebuilt steering columns available?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
My steering column is in need of help...

The wires have been cut and spliced by the previous owner. The bottom by the rag joint is very loose and wobbles, I assume there is a bearing there somewhere that is bad/missing.

Are there new columns available out there somewhere? All I see are "Universal", that don't look like they would work without mods. Or is there any of our vendors here that rebuild columns? Mine is not a tilt, I am open to new, a rebuilt, or rebuild mine, or good used. A tilt would be a plus, but anything is better than what I have now. Thanks! Earl

2017-12-19 19.59.57.jpg

It looks like you need a new turn signal switch, which would contain all of those wires. Reproductions run about $72.

On a non-tilt unit, the bottom of the steering shaft does wobble a lot, the only bearing is the one under the steering wheel. I think it is suppose to float like that. You just don't want any wobble on the park lock out tube.

On a non-tilt unit, the bottom of the steering shaft does wobble a lot, the only bearing is the one under the steering wheel. I think it is suppose to float like that. You just don't want any wobble on the park lock out tube.
The top seems pretty tight, I just thought there was something wrong at the bottom as much as the shaft can move there. So if that is ok, looks like I just need to get a turn signal switch to replace those darn splices. Good news!!

Back