Who is running a 17" or bigger wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmontes

Reaction score
Anyone running a 17" or bigger wheel? If so, what width wheel and tire combo? Any pics would be super cool as well. 

Trying to figure out which way we want to go on the 71...

Have you tried searching the forum? You'll find quite a few who are running 17" and larger wheels. It seems like there's one thread titled something like "Show your wheels". You'll also find lots of wheel/tire pictures.

I did perform a search and came up with nothing... I will try what you suggest. Thanks!

I have 18x8 on front and 18x9 on the rear.

EFBCDD7B-EF98-447D-A588-51A570CE6066.jpeg

Love the look here! Would you mind sharing the details on the B/S and O/S as well as the tire size?

All stock suspension? Any rubbing issues? Thanks!
They are US Mags Bandits rims, front 18x8, 4.5 back spacing, rear 18x9 5.25 back spacing. Tires are Nitto extreme nt555, frt 245/45/18 and rear 285/40/18. Suspension on the front is stock wiith 1" lowering coils and rear is stock leafs. No rubbing issues. In the rear there is room to go wider with more back spacing. Hope this helps. Ryan 

17X8 for me. I think many different wheels look great on our cars. It’s very hard to choose.  I put some Bullitts from the late 90s/early 2000s on mine as placeholders during the build because they were very cheap on craigslist. Once I painted the car I kinda liked them so I just left them. If I decided to stop being cheap I’d probably get these:

http://www.etmags.com/lt_iii.html

I’d personally get 17s for the front and 18s for the rear if buying new.

I will try this 18x8 on the front and 18x9 on the rear setup. I'm planning to avail a wheel and tire package to get replacements for my current ones. Though, I haven't decided what specific wheels I'll get as a replacement. I'll look for more wheel thread for build references. 

I have the 2001 Bullitt 17 inch wheels with the 245/45-17 tires. With the TCP strut rods and Lower Control Arms, the ride is a bit harsh. I feel every nook and cranny on the road. Now for handling, it is a slot car. The aspect ratio is very important in determining the quality of ride that you want.

https://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/tires_ride_quality

A car riding on lower profile tires will have less sidewall-flex capacity to absorb bumps, and will either require softer springs to accomplish the same results, or be bumpier.

I am looking into slightly taller tires or go back to 15 inch rims.

1973_Mustang_wheels.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
The large wheels of today and low aspect tires seems like going back to the old wooden spooked wheels of the Model T...

Yep the model T had 20" on some models. There is a model T here that has a spare that does not have a tube in it. I has a series of holes through the tire that is solid to give it some cushion. They have tried to make them in different versions over the years one recent was Twheels. Iire and wheel in one with no air. They had colored tires for a short while doing burn outs left colored stripes so they are gone.
A suspension on an old car is not made for low profile tires for sure. Even adding gas shocks makes them feel like a buggy. Handle better but very harsh ride.
I guess since i grew up then they just do not look right with the low profile tire.
The only good use for the Big diameter tires i have found was to build a bullet back stop for shooting. Went to tire store got worn out junk tires as big as they had. Stacked them and filled with sand great bullet stop self healing.

I agree, David. They don't look right, to me a wheel bigger than 17" or a tire with less than a /50 aspect ratio doesn't look right on our cars. Definitely won't handle right without suspension/chassis modifications. You see 4x4 pickups with huge wagon wheels and skinny sidewalls, obviously they never plan on taking them off the pavement.

FWIW - Here's mine running craigslist 20's all around. Sorry don't have great pics as we've been working on it non stop. 20x9.5s in the back with 315/35/20s and 20X8.5s with 255/40/20s up front. With that wide a tire there is still a reasonable amount of sidewall in the back IMO and looks pretty good. The front sidewalls look to thin. It's at stock height so I think lowering an inch or two up there will make that look a lot better. Eventually I'll probably go 18's or 19's with a taller sidewall. 

Personally I'd stay away from 17" wheels unless you know exactly what you want and don't think you will want to tweak the fit as there are just far fewer size options in 17s. 

Also for what it's worth, it handles and rides really good with this setup considering its all stock.

image.png

Back