Hey guys new to this, but what cover fits it the best and is rain proof.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1972
Got a cover on carcovers.com. Total BS, doesn't fit snug and let's the water through. No go... Need something well made solid that fits 72 fast back. At least during the summer months.

Thanks in advance.
- Dmitry.

I have a CoverKing and it is very snug. Got it during a Black Friday sale last year. They make them to order using a pattern for our cars with mirror pockets etc. I have the Silverguard which is pretty light weight and so far has kept the car dry, but then again I live in So Cal so not a ton of rain. I wouldn't mind a bit more heft to the fabric, but so far it's holding up well. If I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy. Probably better ones out there but coming from universal covers from Amazon and the like the fit is great.

https://coverking.com/collections/custom-car-cover

I have a CoverKing and it is very snug. Got it during a Black Friday sale last year. They make them to order using a pattern for our cars with mirror pockets etc. I have the Silverguard which is pretty light weight and so far has kept the car dry, but then again I live in So Cal so not a ton of rain. I wouldn't mind a bit more heft to the fabric, but so far it's holding up well. If I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy. Probably better ones out there but coming from universal covers from Amazon and the like the fit is great.

https://coverking.com/collections/custom-car-cover
Oh amazing.. thank you for the rec. What do you do with the antenna? just poke a hole in the cover?

That's a good question and I don't recall how that works as I don't have an antenna. I "think" when ordering you pick if you want mirror pockets or not and might have the option for the antenna. If not that, there might have been a grommet that came in the bag to deal with that. Don't recall exactly other than there was a way to deal with it.

Most will come with a plastic grommet you can install in the cover if you want. On my 63 Fairlane I just unscrew the antenna and put the cover on. I removed mine from my mustang and had the hole welded up so I don't remember how the mustangs attach. I like cover craft covers myself, but everyone has an opinion so take that with a grain of salt.

Forced to have my 73 out the whole year on my driveway, tried xxx things/covers to keep it dry.
The northern Netherlands is very wet. Pretty much british like. So a cover is a must.
I have to add that I do drive it all year round, where it's parked max 2-3 weeks when weather is really awful. In a garage or outside, a car needs to drive anyway or new problems arise. So it's being "vented".

What works best for me isn't the right solution for long periods/entire winters and unless you invest in one of these "zip a car" bubbles,
I must also add that I'm afraid no cover will do what they all promise. At least not from own experience on 4 different brands now.

I use now one of these so called outside waterproof covers with so called water guards, venting layers etc... You see them everywhere, they are greyish foamy thick. which in practice are totally failing if the rain is more than a few drops but they are thick and protect well on the thermo side of things. Another plus point is that you can buy them by car model. I have a mach 1 and a coupe and they do fit both perfectly.
And every 2 years, I buy a 4 x 6 meter white polyesther cover. Too rough for paint but ideal on that thick cover.
The combo work great and even when we have these storms with high speed winds, all is fine.
During warm/dry summer, which we did not really had this year, I then use the cover alone.
The downside of the combo is that it takes 5-10 minutes for me to get it free to drive in the winter and need buy a new cover because the UV's are breaking it down and when I find droplets I know it's time. Which is no biggy as they are cheap. I do this for the last 4 years now and it's going fine.
I don't have condense issues anymore or smelly interior even during the worst months of the year.

Sure, a place with a roof would be much better, but I simply don't have that luxury. Renting a place is also no option over here, as the nearest I could find when i've searched was not only ridiculously expensive, but also about 50kms away...

Mine sits in the garage all winter with no cover, I have a roll of masking plastic used by body shops that I'll lay over it to keep the dust off. A couple strategically placed magnets keep it in place. I have a detached garage, so the only traffic through it is me.

My only winter "prep" is to ensure my coolant is up to snuff.

https://tcpglobal.com/products/dur-mfr-12400-rl

Before I moved here to Boise , Idaho, I lived in L.A. in the San Fernando Valley, my Mach stayed outside in the driveway at night, drove it to work everyday. The weather was never intense enough to really need a cover, although, I do have one that gets used now and again. As for the antenna hole, mine didn't come with one, I simply cut a small hole in it . I now have another vehicle to drive in Winter here, so I put the Mach in the garage for winter, leave the cover off, and run it a few times a month. Funny, I have two Dragboats in the garage, and they both are covered, in the garage, with dust and waterproof covers. God help me should water touch the boats......

I am not a fan of covers outside. Waterproof ones keep moisture in as well as keep moisture out, and it seems like there is more moisture to be pulled from under the car as there is from rain falling on the car, unless the car is parked on pavement. Another problem is wind. Seems to me, wind moving the cover over the surface of the car will cause problems with paint, particularly since outdoor covers will catch and hold any dust that blows up under the cover. I use light covers in my heated garage to keep dust and paw prints off of the cars.

FYI - Coverking has their Cyber Monday sale going right now with covers 25% off. Not sure how these stack up against others like Covercraft, but the one I have is so far holding up pretty well to the so cal sun. It's custom made to fit the car for about $200 for a basic cover. Thinking of getting another one for when my current cover gives up.

Got a cover on carcovers.com. Total BS, doesn't fit snug and let's the water through. No go... Need something well made solid that fits 72 fast back. At least during the summer months.

Thanks in advance.
- Dmitry.

As plenty others have already forewarned, your desire for a "waterproof" cover for outdoors use during rainy conditions is flat-out suicidal to your car. Any cover that is totally waterproof will not breath. So it becomes a water "trap". Even on concrete, when the rain ends the wet concrete under the car evaporates-up, and becomes trapped/tented under your cover.. Paint blistering, rust, corrosion of all fasteners and un-coated metals, mildew, that's what you're going to get with a waterproof cover.

Most covers designed for outdoor use are breathable "exosmotic" covers that allow moisture to evaporate OUT of the cover, but "restrict" water from coming in. They are described as water "resistant", because that's the best you're going to get. In a light rain, it'll keep your car dry. But in a medium/heavy rain, or extended light rain, eventually the fabric becomes saturated and water begins to leach through. Also, most any fitted-cover is sewn, which means you have stitched seams. The stitched seams are not resistant to water (because a sewing machine needle has punched holes down the whole seam), and water gets in on the seams. It is what it is.

My advice?? Don't sweat the water getting through and your car getting wet. Your Mustang isn't a witch LOL... The good thing is, that cover will dry-out properly in the wind/sun, and the car will also dry-out with it. Moisture will not be trapped. And don't leave the cover on for extended periods. Every several days when it's sunny out, let the car sit in the sun with the windows cracked with no cover for an afternoon or full day, then put the cover back on.

A dry car is a happy car. But putting a truly waterproof cover on a car does not keep a car dry. Quite the opposite. It creates a hot-house, like a green house... You could grow plants under there. Don't do it.

Back