71 SPORT MIRRORS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does look more like my mirrors indeed! But those pedestals look pretty tall, WOW, mine are only 2" tall! I'll live, thanks Geoff.
Yeah, they are all different as one would expect. I should have taken a pic of Ron's Torino pedestals, they're huge!!

I am surprised by the differences there are for the mirror housing in the different years between 69 and 73. They could have been all the same and saved thousands of dollars in tooling cost, but then again, that's Ford for you.

So, after doing a bit more research and having seen a couple of different cars and how the mirrors are placed on the doors relative to the drivers position, I have concluded that the size of the mirror is dependent on the drivers field of view. Looking at the picture of the Cyclone mirror, that driver needed the right side mirror fully pushed in on the outside. A convex one would not need to be as far around obviously. In these cases, it would be necessary to confirm your needs prior to cutting any glass.

For this reason, I have revamped my templates and now have 2 different sizes. One for normal positioning and one for when the glass is needed to be pushed further in. In essence, one is a 1/4" smaller. I have also re-shaped the inner edge to allow for better clearance and appearance. Don't have time right now, but I'll update the scan download soon.

Back