C4 to 4 speed toploader swap : need info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
I want to this swap so bad. I first thought to get one from an US Mustang owner but shipping is very pricey... And now someone here in France has one for me (he's doing the T5 swap).

I'll get more info this weekend but I know it's the close ratio model.

The trans has been taken out of a 69 Mustang that had a 351W.

It looks like it is in good condition, the guy sells it with a "master rebuilt kit".

Questions are :

- first of all, is it an "easy" swap ?

- do you think this trans will match my 351C ? (it's a "nearly 300 hp" motor)

- which additional parts do I need to make it work ? (crossmember, clutch, z-bar, right bellhousing etc.)

- what do I particularely need to check before I buy ?

Thanks !

I want to this swap so bad. I first thought to get one from an US Mustang owner but shipping is very pricey... And now someone here in France has one for me (he's doing the T5 swap).

I'll get more info this weekend but I know it's the close ratio model.

The trans has been taken out of a 69 Mustang that had a 351W.

It looks like it is in good condition, the guy sells it with a "master rebuilt kit".

Questions are :

- first of all, is it an "easy" swap ?

- do you think this trans will match my 351C ? (it's a "nearly 300 hp" motor)

- which additional parts do I need to make it work ? (crossmember, clutch, z-bar, right bellhousing etc.)

- what do I particularely need to check before I buy ?

Thanks !
The swap itself is not that bad depending on the parts that go with it (crossmember, linkages, tailshaft for driveshaft) post up pics of what all goes with it.

Instead of the Zbar, you might concider a clutch cable kit.

Moderndriveline.com has the clutch cable kit and a new clutch pedal for reasonable prices.

Note that you do not need to remove your existing brake pedal. The new clutch pedal

will fit your existing bracket. The brake pedal just needs to be cut to fit a smaller pad.

A v8 toploader will handle the power but I would think being in France, you would want a 5-speed though, especially with fuel prices there.

I went with a Tremec TKO-500, in 5th gear it's only 2000 rpm on the highway at 70mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ! 5 speed sounds good but they cost a lot around here, and it's a pain to find one used.

If you have longtube headers, that makes it more complicated. A hydraulic clutch kit may fit better than the cable or Zbar.

If you have longtube headers, that makes it more complicated. A hydraulic clutch kit may fit better than the cable or Zbar.
on the 71-73 mustangs the clutch goes nowhere near the headers on our year because it feeds thru the back instead of the front.

you are going to pay out for a toploader but i'm sure a t5 or a tko6/500 wouldn't be too much more.

There is a thread here regarding the comparison of a toploader to an overdrive...something about it being like choosing a wife....sure you can find it if you do a search.

I am a toploader fan myself...but I don't think I have met a T5 guy who has not liked the swap. I would try to drive one first....kind of like before you get married, kicking the tires ain't going to cut it. You've got to put yourself behind the wheel, and see how she feels.

Crap...you are in FRANCE and you want to do this?

I think it would be cheaper/easier if you put yourself and your car on a boat to New York and drove over to Q's house...I am sure he will let you get behind the wheel of his C A R....maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of me just bought a '67 Pontiac Firebird with Tremec T5 trans and 400 ci engine. I tried it out and found it is amazing : very smooth and easy transmission. Fifth gear is really cool on the highway, but I think the legendary toploader 4 speed is sufficient for me and will fit my needs very well.

Used toploaders are easier to find around here, whereas a new T5 complete kit will cost between 3000 and 4000 euros :(

You'll need the pedal assembly, usually somewhat hard to find at a price that is reasonable. If the transmission was original to the 69 Mustang the output shaft and tail housing should be correct. Does it come with a shifter for the Mustang?

on the 71-73 mustangs the clutch goes nowhere near the headers on our year because it feeds thru the back instead of the front.
Xoliex,

Please give us details about what clutch linkage you are running (cable or zbar) that work with long tube headers (which brand)?

I have always heard there are fitment problems but alas those discussions were always about 68-70 models, never heard from anyone that has long tubes with a manual transmission for 71-73.

C9zx,

They now make new (repro) clutch pedals for 71-73. You can get them at Modern Driveline for $160. It fits your existing pedal bracket too. I did my conversion before this was available and it was a BEAR to find a used pedal for 71-73, and it ended up costing $350.

Xoliex,

Please give us details about what clutch linkage you are running (cable or zbar) that work with long tube headers (which brand)?

I have always heard there are fitment problems but alas those discussions were always about 68-70 models, never heard from anyone that has long tubes with a manual transmission for 71-73.

C9zx,

They now make new (repro) clutch pedals for 71-73. You can get them at Modern Driveline for $160. It fits your existing pedal bracket too. I did my conversion before this was available and it was a BEAR to find a used pedal for 71-73, and it ended up costing $350.
Good to know that it is now reproduced. Modern Driveline seems to be a real good source for many specialty parts. Thanks again, Chuck

A friend of me just bought a '67 Pontiac Firebird with Tremec T5 trans and 400 ci engine. I tried it out and found it is amazing : very smooth and easy transmission. Fifth gear is really cool on the highway, but I think the legendary toploader 4 speed is sufficient for me and will fit my needs very well.

Used toploaders are easier to find around here, whereas a new T5 complete kit will cost between 3000 and 4000 euros :(
Sly_drums,

I used a set of pedals off a non power brake car (cheaper) and made it work with my brake pedal out of my automatic that was power.(I posted the pics in What did you do to your car today) That part took all day but was actually pretty easy once you look at it. Be sure to replace the pedal bushings when you do get to this stage. Don at OMS has those.

Back