1972 Convertible Q-code Marti Report

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s got to be a color available in the Ford lineup, right ?
You know I have never researched how the special order paint worked but I am sure it has to be a color Ford had on some other vehicle from the current model year or maybe for a couple of previous years.

You know I have never researched how the special order paint worked but I am sure it has to be a color Ford had on some other vehicle from the current model year or maybe for a couple of previous years.
My understanding is you could pick a color from another car line .

I am a little late to this thread, but welcome from Birmingham AL! I have some limited knowledge of the special paint cars and have owned three. The first was a 71 M code vert which I think was painted Meadow Lark Yellow (which was a 68 to 70 color). The car was loaded and even had Ram Air and Power Windows but I hated the drab pastel color. The car would have rocked in Grabber Yellow. Then I have a 73 Q code vert in Raven Black which was a 1971 color. Last I have the strangest one which is a loaded out 73 Q code vert now in a hideous Pepto Bismol Pink but was originally a beautiful Redish Purple Metallic that really looks like Raspberry. I'll do more research when I paint it. This color was obviously never a Mustang color. I wonder if the special order colors could have come from the Lincoln Mercury lineup or if they had to be a Ford color. I agree that this 71 is probably Calypso Coral. What's strange is that it is supposed to have a single chrome driver's side mirror but the sport mirrors could have been added during the repaint. My two 73s came with the rubber front bumpers and the plastic rear bumper fillers painted silver (probably argent silver). My understanding is that those parts and the sport mirrors could only be painted in the factory colors. I have seen at least one special order 73 in Playboy Pink. Can anyone else chime in on what they know about these special order paint cars?

Attachments

• IMG_5187.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5192.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5196.jpg
    IMG_5196.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg