Things you have found in car during resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car had previously been restored. However, I had a bad noise whenever I braked hard, as though a chunk of metal was sliding and hitting something.

Upon removal of the carpet, I found a backing plate from the left hand door sitting on top of the seat riser. It would slide and hit a ridge, creating the noise I previously heard. Another backing plate was put into the A pillar when the previous owner couldn't find it.

I also found that the windshield header was missing a bracket to hold the rear view mirror. A close inspection showed there was never a bracket welded to the header at the factory.

A couple of 60s vintage hot wheels cars behind the rear seat , appx $4 in various coins a couple were silver , Beatles 8 track in a box in the trunk , misc tools , several old school ball point pens , a tiny plastic car.

Not during a resto but at a junk yard - the same one that was patrolled by Pickup the dog.

In a very badly wrecked 70 coupe we found.......................foot bones, several little yellowed but very clearly human foot and toe bones.

The car had been hit hard in the drivers side fender, door, and windshield pillar. The parking brake was pushed in about 6 inches and the toe board and floor were up hard against the pedals.

The owner of the yard swore that the driver was not killed and was not even that banged up considering what the car looked like.

He remembered that a lady came and got some personal stuff out of it shortly after it arrived. He said he remembered her years later because she was very tall and painfully skinny. He called her "a long drink of water". She told him that her boyfriend was already out of the hospital.

He agreed with our "Quincy" diagnosis that they were indeed human and gathered them all up and put them in a glass jar.

I wonder what his kids and grandkids thought when they were cleaning out his stuff years later and found the jar?

The best thing I found was a "bakelite" coffee cup with a Ford Logo on the bottom of it inside the door shell of a 64 T Bird. The door had never had the door panel off of it. The cup has "2nd shift and the initials QC scratched into it.

Bakelite was kind of a hard brown plastic semi disposable material that preceeded styrafoam.

I recently saw this exact cup but with a "US" on the bottom in military surplus stores for a buck each. He must of had 500 of them.

I currently have several sets of head light bucket springs and adjusters in my cup at the moment.

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt, don't be bashful - you had the ultimate score when you bought a $1000 comb that came with a car!
A $1,500 comb, to be exact. It quickly became a $3,000 comb due to NPD bills and investment in a $450 Hobart welder ;) . Soon to be a $4300+ comb once that panel shows up.

I'm a sucker for old Hot Wheels though - I'm planning to make them the subject of my next video, complete with the Tune Up Tower and original '68-72 track sets.

-Kurt

Not Mustang related but in the floorpan of my 1970 Camaro I found a paper coffee cup. It was the 70s kind with foldable "wings" that fold over to form a handle, and had a big GM logo on it.

I thought it was cool but I did throw it away. That was probably in 2002.

Greg

In my 73 Mach in the bottom of the trunk where the side drops down with the rear quarter panel I found an old stubby beer bottle, my son had no idea we drank beer from such funny looking bottles

A 72 penny and a hatpin (yes a hatpin) stuck in the visor that had a topaz stone on the end. Contacted PO and it turned out to be his great aunts who is still with us. Sent it back to them.

Many of the cars had

Utensils for shenanigans involving use of a green leafy substance :angel:

:

In 1987 my dad offered his Mustang to my sister as her first car, when she turned it down I jumped on the chance to drive her. We started a minor hillbilly restoration of the car that included an engine overhaul. After we put the engine back in, the car would not turn over and so we decided to tow it from the farm to my soon to be brother-in-law’s family shop in town. What happened while towing the car is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

We hooked a tow strap to the car and dad and I drove the truck while my brother-in-law and his friend rode in the Mustang. Half way to town we felt a huge tug from the Mustang and noticed smoke rolling from the tires. We thought something had locked up so we quickly pulled over and they jumped out screaming like little girls. On the shoulder of my brother-in-law was a cat sized rat that had made a nest in the glove box. One of these geniuses decided to open the glove box during the trip and mamma rat was not happy with her dozen or so baby rats. I had never seen someone move so fast in my life, nor did I know two grown men could sound like little girls at a Justin Bieber concert.

In 1987 my dad offered his Mustang to my sister as her first car, when she turned it down I jumped on the chance to drive her. We started a minor hillbilly restoration of the car that included an engine overhaul. After we put the engine back in, the car would not turn over and so we decided to tow it from the farm to my soon to be brother-in-law’s family shop in town. What happened while towing the car is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

We hooked a tow strap to the car and dad and I drove the truck while my brother-in-law and his friend rode in the Mustang. Half way to town we felt a huge tug from the Mustang and noticed smoke rolling from the tires. We thought something had locked up so we quickly pulled over and they jumped out screaming like little girls. On the shoulder of my brother-in-law was a cat sized rat that had made a nest in the glove box. One of these geniuses decided to open the glove box during the trip and mamma rat was not happy with her dozen or so baby rats. I had never seen someone move so fast in my life, nor did I know two grown men could sound like little girls at a Justin Bieber concert.
rofl

That's funny!

I found a 80s movie ticket and a picture of the car i think from mid 90s.

A handful of 357mag ammo in the center console of an 84 SVO that I bought.

Other than a bunch of regular findings I did find this cup back in 2004 under the carpet of a 69 mustang coupe that I was restoring. Thought it was pretty neat. Still have it as a matter of fact.

fordsafetycup003.jpg

fordsafetycup004.jpg

When I removed the quarter panels from my 73 vert, both sides were packed with old confetti. The PO told me he used to rent the car out for parade use back in the 70's and early 80's when it was still back in Dallas.

Found a crap load of Change...about $3 under the rear seats, and a parking stub from the LA coliseum (originally a California car) and this matchbook....apparently the owners were killed in a plane crash in '83 but I guess the restaurants are still going...

photo0023.jpgphoto0024.jpg

Back