My Next Project (V Code 71 Roadrunner)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mustang was baked like this but not quite as bad. I have managed to source most of the interior and have most of the drive train now, correct castings and dates. The block is the 440-6 HP one and is being bored out now. Crank will probably need the journal surfaces turned too. Couple more pics, The motor is the 360 that they put in.

100_0146.JPG

100_0145.JPG

100_0151.JPG

My Mustang was baked like this but not quite as bad. I have managed to source most of the interior and have most of the drive train now, correct castings and dates. The block is the 440-6 HP one and is being bored out now. Crank will probably need the journal surfaces turned too. Couple more pics, The motor is the 360 that they put in.
If it wasn't for a huge ocean I would take that LA engine of your hands pretty quick.

If it wasn't for a huge ocean I would take that LA engine of your hands pretty quick.
That motor is from a Arizona State Patrol car that was totalled so it's not an ordinary one but one built for law enforcement vehicles. If you want it it's yours. I was just going to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was in the parking lot at dinner the other night......

1e2qlt.jpg

That motor is from a Arizona State Patrol car that was totalled so it's not an ordinary one but one built for law enforcement vehicles. If you want it it's yours. I was just going to get rid of it.
Im sure Kurt would love to have a real 360 cop car motor for the Satellite. I guess timing is everything. Can't wait to see that 440 6 pack done.

This is the look that I am shooting for minus the stripes as it didn't come that way. Been looking at Wheel choices and there are just so many. Any suggestions?

look.jpg

Wow that photo gave me a tingling in my gentleman's area lol. For what its worth Stock wheels or centreline Autodags would be my choice of wheels period correct classics.

I was able to get the fender tag numbers and this is what it came with. Funny that it doesn't have the rear axle code.

Code Description

E87 440-6 Barrel High Performance

D21 Heavy Duty 4-Speed Manual Transmission

RM23

R = Plymouth Road Runner

M = Medium

23 = 2 Door Hardtop

V1R

V = 440 385HP 3-2BBL 8 CYL

1 = 1971

R = Windsor, ONT, CAN

126737 Sequence Number '126737'

GY3

Paint Code: Citra Yella (2.4% of production was this color, 3,369 made)

M2X9

Trim Grade/Style/Color

M = Medium

2 = Vinyl Bench

X9 = Black

TX9 Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet

926 Date Built: 9 / 26 / 1970

143829 Order Number: 143829

V4X Roof Type OR Color: Black Canopy Vinyl Roof

U Built to Specifications for USA Order

26 26 in. Radiator

B51 Power Brakes

S81 Simulated Wood Steering Wheel

G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome

M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings

N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips

N85 Tachometer

N96 Fresh Air Hood

R11 Music Master Radio AM

END End of Codes

When I was doing some research around a 71 superbee that was for sale here I think I remember reading that 3.23 was standard on autos and 3.55 on 4 speeds for most chargers superbees gtx and roadrunners. This a generalisation of cause and it could be anything.

The Galen reports break down everything really well just like a Marti report would also be a great reference for your resto

I have the 4.10 sure grip Dana 60 (A32). If I do make any modifications it would be with a GV like I did to the Mustang but I want to avoid doing this. Just won't be too freeway friendly. When I decoded the tag it just has the dual exhaust with turndowns, not the cool tips that I like. The stock car came with this rear:

A33 - 3.54 (stock)

Options

A31 - 3.91 (Performance)

A32 - 4.10 (High Performance)

With GV the rear would be 3.20 in OD.

Maybe go 3.5. It will look stock and you can drive it about.Easy enough to swap back to 4.10. My friend had 2 diffs for his charger the stock 1 with deep gears and another with 3.23s.

Yeah I have been thinking about this a lot. I think I am going to use the 4.10's to see what its like then decide whether to put in a 3.54 later. I like the idea of 2 rear ends but the Dana 60 is getting hard to find for the 71 and when you do they cost more than a GV unit. I see that GV makes the Pistol Grip handles with the overdrive switch built into the top of the grip and doesn't distract from the looks at all and you don't need the foot switch and it would be easier to remove than the rear if I want the OE setup at any time. I also like the idea of having a 8 speed in the car.

Going to make this as close to factory looking as possible with the only possible exception of the GV unit / rear gear ratio. Been acquiring all the parts with the correct casting numbers and dates and am avoiding changing the exhaust to the tips instead of the turndown pipes for example. This is killing me because I like some of the different options but I decided to keep everything matching the Fender Tag. The car was made in Canada so it used parts produced there so with the air cleaner I searched for one that would match for example. The decal was wrong so I changed it to the correct one, should be 440 Six Pack vice the Magnum 440 Six Pack in the previous pic I posted. Never done a car with this detail so I thought I'd give it a try.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can find the factory assembly line markings and stamps that was used let me know. Found some but not nearly all of them. I was able to find the correct crayon markers and paints but not the actual details of where and what the exact markings were. I saw that Graveyard Cars has a manual they use and have asked them but no reply yet. They probably are keeping this info to themselves so the competition doesn't have this info.

thx

DSCN8441.JPG

The car was made in Canada so it used parts produced there so with the air cleaner I searched for one that would match for example. The decal was wrong so I changed it to the correct one, should be 440 Six Pack vice the Magnum 440 Six Pack in the previous pic I posted. Never done a car with this detail so I thought I'd give it a try.

thx
I wondered about why it was SIX PACK and not the typical (for Plymouth) SIX BARREL. So Canadian three carb cars were all SIX PACKs? Too many details for my head.

If you can't get anywhere on the stamps I can try to get the question in to Galen. He helped me find a SIX BARREL set up for my Wife's '70 440 Cuda engine. I don't really know him but he is a good friend of one of my friends.

Back