Poor Man's Transmission Jack.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
I built a transmission adapter for my trolley jack out of scrap wood and an old jack pad. I also sawed off the head from 2 bolts to make guide pins for the Top Loader. This made the installation of my Top Loader manual trans an easy one man operation. Sometimes purpose made tools are the best and transmission jacks were way too expensive.

Attachments

• Tjack1.JPG
    Tjack1.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Tjack2.JPG
    Tjack2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
Some of us are too old to be bench pressing top loaders anymore...
I use large tie wraps to secure trans to cradle. I also made a double thick plywood template that bolted on the front flange of the trans to rest it on the exhaust H pipe so I didn't have to take it out from under the car while pulling motor.
Thanks, Jay

That's how I made my own transmission jack, too. An old small car jack, a big steel plate and some angle iron, good bolts, some grinding and painting and done. With that I got a C6 out and back in of a 1970 F250 without jacking the truck up. The top loader of the Mach will be next in a few years...

Y'all must not have grown up as poor as I did. I always used a floor jack with a 2x4 to spread the weight out across the pan.

I built a transmission adapter for my trolley jack out of scrap wood and an old jack pad. I also sawed off the head from 2 bolts to make guide pins for the Top Loader. This made the installation of my Top Loader manual trans an easy one man operation. Sometimes purpose made tools are the best and transmission jacks were way too expensive.
Nicely done. whatever it takes, eh?

The harbor freight screw transmission jack looks like an excellent option and the price is reasonable(y). I was not aware of it and I love this forum because it keeps me up to date on new ideas and products.

Back