Hood twist lock ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubaman

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions. I have had this ‘73 convertible for 20 years. Did restoration back in 2004. Changed the flat hood (which I still have) to a NASA aftermarket hood. I’m would like to dress it up a bit with twist lock caps. Found these on eBay sold as NOS. Questions are;
1) are these original Ford locks
2) can these b added to my hood without having to repaint the hood?
2) what modifications and extra parts will need to be made? For example. Do these locks have a back plate that attaches to the radiator frame rail? or do they screw into the same holes as the rubber capped hood stops?
Thanks

Attachments

• 7A905DFA-C61C-4E78-BB89-44D8F6970AB4.png
    7A905DFA-C61C-4E78-BB89-44D8F6970AB4.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 5E0C8C63-3FD0-4F8A-96E0-A1D9A5316F61.png
    5E0C8C63-3FD0-4F8A-96E0-A1D9A5316F61.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 85BF23E9-3199-4675-B58B-C3C8A9CBFE25.png
    85BF23E9-3199-4675-B58B-C3C8A9CBFE25.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions. I have had this ‘73 convertible for 20 years. Did restoration back in 2004. Changed the flat hood (which I still have) to a NASA aftermarket hood. I’m would like to dress it up a bit with twist lock caps. Found these on eBay sold as NOS. Questions are;
1) are these original Ford locks - YES, They look original with correct 1970 part number
2) can these b added to my hood without having to repaint the hood? YES, if installed correctly.
3) what modifications and extra parts will need to be made? For example. Do these locks have a back plate that attaches to the radiator frame rail? or do they screw into the same holes as the rubber capped hood stops? SEE VIDEO BELOW

There is allot of available information and installation how-to(s), but I really like Jeff Ford's channel.....

I had a 73 with these and found them very irritating. Everything must line up perfectly. Over the years the previous owner had it, the hood changed location slightly. One time, the pin was stuck, and turning it was merely unscrewing it from its holder instead of unlocking it. Personal preference I guess, it wasn't the type of tinkering I like.

I had been told that they were very difficult to install, so I pre-fit my hood yesterday so I could install the latch strikers and adjust as necessary. They were pretty simple and straight forward the install. The worst part was measuring and cutting holes in the hood.

Mach 1 344.jpgMach 1 524.jpg

Here’s everything you need, but they are out of stock at OMS.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363861271262
I am glad to see you have a full installation kit for the Dzus hood locks. Here is a photo of some poor car (71-73 Mustang) where they did not use the radiator support extensions. Very goofy looking... I have no idea who owns this car, or where it was taken. At first it is hard to see the hood lock's plate. But, if you look back about 3 inches from where it ought to be it is suddenly visible. What a waste of an otherwise perfectly good hood, eh?

Attachments

• GoofyLookingDzusHoodLockLocation_20201208.jpg
    GoofyLookingDzusHoodLockLocation_20201208.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the help:
Saw that a set of locks was for sale couple of weeks back, missed those. They were stated as for a 1970 with part #:
D0ZB-166710-B HOOD TWIST LOCK
The set on Ebay is part #:
D0ZB-16740-B

Can someone confirm that these are proper for a 1973 convertible with NASA hood?
Also, the ones on ebay only have the locks without the mounting hardware. Is it possible to purchase just the mounting hardware?
Thanks

Scuba - the post from jpaz, with the link to the OMS eBay auction, are the correct parts for your application. Since the OMS kit is currently unavailable you can piece these parts separately from NPD and other vendors. Use the eBay listing a a guide for the parts you need. Also, in the Jeff Ford YouTube video, there is a NPD parts list in the detail section under MORE.

Also, the 1970 part # D0ZB-16C710-B HOOD TWIST LOCK is a good part number. Feel free to PM me I'd be happy to help you with your parts list.

PARTS: http://www.npdlink.com Retainer, Hood Auxiliary Latch: 16C712-1 Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Retainer, Concours, On Hood: 16C712-1AK Handle Assy, Hood Fastener, Twist Type: 16C896-4A Catch Plate, Hood Auxiliary Latch: 16894-1 Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Catch: 16894-1AK Bracket Set, Hood Pin Mount, Attaches To Radiator: 16934-4A Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Mount Extensions, Concours: 16934-4AK

Last edited:
Scuba - the post from jpaz, with the link to the OMS eBay auction, are the correct parts for your application. Since the OMS kit is currently unavailable you can piece these parts separately from NPD and other vendors. Use the eBay listing a a guide for the parts you need. Also, in the Jeff Ford YouTube video, there is a NPD parts list in the detail section under MORE.

Also, the 1970 part # D0ZB-16C710-B HOOD TWIST LOCK is a good part number. Feel free to PM me I'd be happy to help you with your parts list.

PARTS: http://www.npdlink.com Retainer, Hood Auxiliary Latch: 16C712-1 Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Retainer, Concours, On Hood: 16C712-1AK Handle Assy, Hood Fastener, Twist Type: 16C896-4A Catch Plate, Hood Auxiliary Latch: 16894-1 Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Catch: 16894-1AK Bracket Set, Hood Pin Mount, Attaches To Radiator: 16934-4A Mounting Kit, Hood Lock Mount Extensions, Concours: 16934-4AK
That's how I did it the twist lock was on back order last November and then last February I found some NOS locks on Ebay and then I ordered the rest of the parts individually from NPD

Back