Assembly reference for finishing 351 cleveland long block?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so no need to install the valley pan. Is it because the difference of materiel, iron vs aluminium ?
This could probably be its own thread. But my understanding is that the valley pan is used to keep oil from splashing up and burning on the bottom of the intake. If you are using something to block the exhaust crossover ports, that hot air is not heating up the intake, and the valley pan wouldn't have a purpose.

Out of curiosity...how many of you have actually used a tourqe wrench on your spark plugs, oil drain plugs, distributor hold down bolt or Cleveland/Big Block/Windsor intake bolts. Honor system please, don't lie!!! I've never used a tourque wrench on any of these...
I may have used one, occasionally, on spark plugs in aluminum heads, but certainly not as a rule. This, as a professional with ASE certification!

I went with the instructions that came with my edelbrock intake. 18-20 ftlb on all bolts, in 2 stages.

View attachment 79278
I installed an Air Gap this weekend. Edelbrock's instructions didn't make sense to me, so I went with the torque values in the Ford manual. Ford shows the same sequence, has 3 steps, and accounts for the difference in bolt size for numbers 1-8 vs 9-12.

Ford Manual (ft-lbs):
Step 1: all 8-10
Step 2: all 15-20
Step 3: 1-8 (3/8") 27-33, 9-12 (5/16") 21-25

See highlights in my pic below to see inconsistencies in the Edelbrock instructions I have. Aside from the errors, I'm wondering if they were written for aluminum heads?

1690205791603.png

Back