Ignition Switch Problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sport Roof
So I took my car for a drive today and when I got home, I parked my car, turned the ignition off...but my key won't come out. I think the tumbler is not going fully to the "off" position.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Stick a pin and remove the cylinder... Make sure the IG switch lever itself is not jamming causing your symptoms.

I would spray some silicone on the switch and in the keyhole to start with.

Your cylinder may just be worn...

If so, no biggie, but you'll probably want to change the doors also to match. Trunk is different.

Nope - the paperclip trick should do it. The whole tumbler will come out as a unit.

In all honesty, I can't remember. I just remember sticking a pin in and jiggling the cylinder with the key and maybe turning the wheel also.

Mine was a sticking needle in the cylinder. I just removed the bad needle, lubricated the lot and it's been good ever since.

This mechanical wear and tear was the main reason I installed my electronic start button.

You still need to put the ignition in the on position, but no need to crank with the key.

Please, PLEASE...disconnect the battery before removing the ignition tumbler.

You have to remove the steering wheel to access the hole for removing the ignition cylinder, the only time the hole is on the outside is if your car has a tilt steering column. Also in the few I removed I found using a thin Allen key works better then a paper clip since some of the pins that need to be pushed for removal were gummed up or stiff to push in.

Well 4 hours later and it's all fixed. Basically, the entire ignition tumbler/rod/switch system was gummed up from 40 years of nastiness. I disassembled the whole thing, cleaned it all with electronics cleaner, used dry lube on the tumbler and ignition switch and lithium grease on the gear set the tumbler fits into, and it works like new. Also, a bit of metal flashing worked its way out of the tumbler which is a little disconcerting. It definitely isn't a piece that broke off, it really looks like flashing from the pot metal casting.

Back