Two sets of wheel covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
Got a set of dog dishes from the local junkyard for 40 bucks. I thought it looked better without the trim rings.

Looks like two different cars.[emoji14]

8d611a562352d59e22b198109068c9c6.jpg

43786fa149b8d8734e36a57549013dc7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That's a huge difference.

I ain't gonna lie - I prefer the Sport Covers. But with the Dog Dishes in-place, your car looks an awful lot like the DAF car... and that's pretty cool. ::thumb::

I agree with Eric. Loose that thin pinstripe and with the dog dish caps (and the trim rings) you have your James Bond 'Diamonds are Forever' car!

The sport wheel cover look so different - makes them cool too.

Ray

Really like the DAF look with the dog dishes. But the sport wheel covers puts it at a new level from the everybody's got Magnum's look. At least with the steel wheels you can change wheel covers to fit your mood for the day! Great find and buy on the dog dishes. ::thumb::

Thanks for all the comments, fellas. I thought it would be fun to have two sets of wheel covers.

The sport wheel covers are my favorite, but I enjoy swapping them out for a different look.

Interesting thing about the painted on white pin stripe. It was done at the dealership before it was sold at the request of the original owner. I have learned to live with it over the past 29 years. :D

Dog dish and trim rings. I really doesn't get much better than that. I had them on my 71 sportsroof and loved them. I just bought a set for my 73 even though it came with cast aluminum wheels. I have the original wheels and a set of magnums on the car now but want to go back to steel with the full dressing.

If you like those sport covers you should see them chrome !

I used polystripper and removed the paint they are completely chrome center piece. and I have the original set 14" and a a pair of Boss 15"

I am in the same boat..., car came with standard hub caps. I also picked up a set of the Sport caps which I will run on the car most of the time. If I ever decide to go through the PIA of an MCA show, I would switch over to the additional Standard caps I recently picked up.

Just for a comparison sake regarding price; the Standard caps (I got a set of 5 NOS in boxes) for about $150. The Sport Caps (also NOS in boxes, but only 4), cost me $600...

wheel hub cap comparison.jpg

Sport cap NOS.jpg

Wow. That's cool.

You might check the Marti Report and/or other documentation to see if it specified exactly which wheel covers. Mine doesn't specify, so I chose the sport covers, since I like them better as my 'factory wheel trim' (I have a full set of 14" steelies with the sport covers for if I ever feel like going back to stock for whatever reason - I do plan some pics for that "fresh from the factory" look, to add to my collection of documentation). I'll have to clean mine up now, since yours look so nice! ::thumb::

attachment.php

Unless you have documentation saying otherwise, I think even MCA competition would allow (and not deduct points) the sport covers vice the standard covers, since they were an available option. I'm not an MCA expert, though... so, it's just a thought and maybe something to check into, since swapping wheel covers tends to take its toll on the steel wheels' finish.

Wow. That's cool.

You might check the Marti Report and/or other documentation to see if it specified exactly which wheel covers. Mine doesn't specify, so I chose the sport covers, since I like them better as my 'factory wheel trim' (I have a full set of 14" steelies with the sport covers for if I ever feel like going back to stock for whatever reason - I do plan some pics for that "fresh from the factory" look, to add to my collection of documentation). I'll have to clean mine up now, since yours look so nice! ::thumb::

attachment.php

Unless you have documentation saying otherwise, I think even MCA competition would allow (and not deduct points) the sport covers vice the standard covers, since they were an available option. I'm not an MCA expert, though... so, it's just a thought and maybe something to check into, since swapping wheel covers tends to take its toll on the steel wheels' finish.
I think you are correct on the MCA rules as long as the item was offered as an option for that year no points deducted. Wow that was the first sport cover I have ever seen with no damage a NOS set.

I think you are correct on the MCA rules as long as the item was offered as an option for that year no points deducted. Wow that was the first sport cover I have ever seen with no damage a NOS set.
I know, right? It's gorgeous! ::thumb::

I have researched this further and although I got the car with a used set of sport covers on it, hence my purchasing an NOS set; the documentation I have (Marti and the Factory Invoice) both state "wheel covers". I have seen reports differentiate between wheel covers and "sport" wheel covers.

I agree that as long as you are not showing MCA thoroughbred, either cover would be accepted at a show. Just thought I should have a nice set of each.

Finally, the NOS sport covers were not something I pursued purchasing initially, instead, a gentleman out of Tucson AZ had read the MM Barn Find story on my car and he contacted the dealer I purchased it from offering to sell them as he believed a rare car like this was worthy of his letting them go after years of storing them. The dealer gave me his contact info. And we made the deal...

The PO got a set of Sport Wheel covers when he found out that is how the car was ordered. So I have those on the car and a set of Magnum 500's with radials that I haven't put on the car in 2 years. I think I should sell the 500's. I was careful to remove the wheel covers when I needed some brake work because most folks are fooled into thinking they are real wheels and I didn't want one trashed.

fa5tag.jpg

The PO got a set of Sport Wheel covers when he found out that is how the car was ordered. So I have those on the car and a set of Magnum 500's with radials that I haven't put on the car in 2 years. I think I should sell the 500's. I was careful to remove the wheel covers when I needed some brake work because most folks are fooled into thinking they are real wheels and I didn't want one trashed.

fa5tag.jpg
Many years ago I took mine in to NTW for tires and sure enough the tech put the air wrench on the sport wheel cover "nut". They bought me a used sport wheel cover.

Back