429 Power Steering Cooler?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kna4977

Reaction score
Aware there's an A/C and Non-A/C version of the P/S coolers, but did all the 429 equipped 71s with power steering come with a cooler or did some not? Info on the following sight uses the word some and not all can someone please confirm?

"Shown is the unique CJ/SCJ cooler (part#D1AA-3D746-BA) which mounted to the left cylinder head, and was used on some non-A/C cars"

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/steering.htm

Aware there's an A/C and Non-A/C version of the P/S coolers, but did all the 429 equipped 71s with power steering come with a cooler or did some not? Info on the following sight uses the word some and not all can someone please confirm?

"Shown is the unique CJ/SCJ cooler (part#D1AA-3D746-BA) which mounted to the left cylinder head, and was used on some non-A/C cars"

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/steering.htm
Mine did not. I am not the original owner,but it was basically untouched…had it since 86

Both of mine do not have it. I think if it had the longer hose it came with the cooler, both my cars have the short hose and neither came with the cooler.

Both of mine do not have it. I think if it had the longer hose it came with the cooler, both my cars have the short hose and neither came with the cooler.
Mine goes straight to the pump. My car is a c code. Maybe the cooler was on drag pack cars like a J code?

I have never seen a clear answer on this question. My 71 J Code Vert has AC and no PS cooler. However, before I got the car in 2015, the engine was out at least twice for rebuilds and the car in general had been driven very hard before going into long term storage. When I restored the car, I did not install one as I could not definitely prove it came from the factory with one installed. As I recall, the Factory Service manuals refer to three schematics for the 429 car's, including one with no PS cooler... My 73 Q Code with AC has the cooler...

Mine was missing too, when I first bought my Mach (351c though). I bought a cherry used one from a Mustang parts place, and they thought I was being silly to put one back on. "It'll just cut your hands up when you work around it, and it doesn't really do that much that you'd notice", was what they said. I knew one belonged on the car and I wanted to keep it all original looking under the hood. Fast forward..............NPD has them for something like $300, I assume reproduction. The 429 unit is likely real pricey, if you can find one. They must be out there sitting around........so many people removed them back when.

Back