71 or 72?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M9Powell

Reaction score
I'm currently looking @ photos of supposedly a 72 H code Mach 1. I'm seriously interested but cautious about buying the car, its by no means cheap & appears to be a very nice car, but I'm suspicious that's its really a 71 02 fastback that's been made into a Mach 1 including the VIN plate & title from 1. Which I don't really have a problem with that except the price which ain't cheap. This does appear to be a very nice restored car. What initially got me suspicious is the lack of a seat belt warning light above the glove box? No sign there ever was one. I'm no expert, but I know a little, my understanding is all 72s have 1. No picture of a door decal, I'm going too ask for a pic of it next, Suspect there isn't 1, but who knows? I've noticed that some Mach1s have a metal trim piece dividing the body color paint & the black on the rockers & some dont , can anyone give me the skinny on that? I know I can pull the fender back & read the VIN # there but a dealer isn't going too allow that before purchase. Any other tips on telling the difference between a 71 & 72 & an original Mach 1 & a cloned 1 would be much appreciated. I want the car either way but how much too pay that's the ? Thanks, I know a bit more about 68-72 Cyclones than 71-73 Mustangs but am trying too learn. Always interested in Cyclones if anybody has any?

Last edited:
Thanks, oh I forgot too mention casting codes on the engine, tranny & rear won't help identify this car, they state all are non orginal. They might be wrong though, if they are basing that on the VIN, which I suspect is wrong. But I don't think this dealer really knows much about the car. Seems like a Chevy man.

Last edited:
VIN on the cars dash is 2F05H144XXX so I don't think that's a super early production 72 that might have got out without the seatbelt light. I guess its always possible the factory overlooked it, but they don't usually miss this kind of " safety" stuff. My understanding is they have built over 44,000 72 models @ Dearborn by the time this one was made?

Last edited:
Based on 72 wiring diagrams, the seat belt warning light above the glove box wasn't instituted until Jan. 1, 72 (federal requirement). Earlier 72s, built in the later 4-5 five months of 71 would not have it. 71 Mach 1s used the flip open gas cap. I have read 72s did not as the flip open type were found to be a safety issue (pop open in some type of accidents). The twist on type used on the other Mustang models not having that issue. VIN 144XXX would have been built in Nov. 1971. There may have been some other differences between 71 and 72s that other members are aware.

Thanks that makes sense, I'll look back over the photos for the gas cap. So maybe I've just been paranoid

my suggestion is to walk away, follow your gut feeling. Especially if they’re asking top dollar. There are a lot of good deals out there, you just have to look.

my suggestion is to walk away, follow your gut feeling. Especially if they’re asking top dollar. There are a lot of good deals out there, you just have to look.
I was thinking the same thing. There might be more info that hasn't been shared yet, but there's a reason the OP is so skeptical.

Just my advice . . . I would not buy from a dealer. They have no connection to the vehicle. If you're buying a Camry, that's ones thing. But there's no way I'm buying a "collector" (term used loosely) from anyone except the owner. And the fewer owners the better.

Its got the flip open gas cap. The reason I was sceptical was the no seat belt light.

Why don’t you post some screen shots of it, it would help out a bunch.
But a couple things I think are different on a 71 is the steering wheel and the center grill support. The 71 I believe has two vertical supports and the 72 has one.

No help with the steering wheel, its got one of those wood aftermarket wheels. The gas cap of course is closed in the pics. The reason I don't post pics is I'm an old man who is a clutz with computers. I don't know how. Not sure if I understand about the grill.

Anybody know why some Mach 1s have the metal trim dividing body color & black on rockers? Is that a 71 thing?

If seller is unwilling to pull a fender off and show a matching VIN then I would walk if price is top dollar. My 72 Spring and 72 Mexican car both had the seat belt light above glove box. Getting some engine casting dates would also be helpful

My 2 biggest downsides for me is its a slush box & it don't have staggered shocks. I'm a old gear grabber. I bought my first new slush box pickup last year only because Ram doesn't offer it with a stick anymore. I'd rather have had a F-150 but they don't offer a stick anymore either & I'm ex Army & Ram offered a special model for US old soldiers at a discount. Built too serve edition in OD green.

Perhaps this might help with your information.
I've owned 3 Mach 1's over the last 49 years as well as a 71 fastback, my first car in Canada. In 1980, I bought a 72 Q code Mach 1, mostly original except for the paint and engine block. I then bought a 72 H code as a parts car, but ended up using that as my winter beater for 4 years. Both these cars were built in April of 72. The Q code and the H had the flip open gas caps and did have the seat belt warning light. The flip open gas cap was an option on Mach 1's only. My current car did not have the flip open, but I found an original and added it.
As for the bright strip along the bottom, that was standard on cars that did not have the hood blackout and stripe package. My 71 M code was as basic a Mach 1 as could possibly be built, only options listed are 4 barrel engine, 4 speed with Hurst shifter and AM radio It also came with standard steel wheels and hub caps. When I bought this car in 2008, it had been painted with the blackout and stripes added, but retained the bright strips, see my pic.
The 71's do have the double hood latch supports, 72 had just one, but if parts have been switched around between 71's and 72's, then it is possible that could have been changed.
Hope that helps, but as others have said, if it doesn't add up parts wise or financially, walk away. I guarantee the dealer is making a ton of mark up on it and does NOT deserve it.

Attachments

• 070_070_01.JPG
    070_070_01.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 071_071_01.JPG
    071_071_01.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 057_057_01.JPG
    057_057_01.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211028_164807 (2).jpg
    20211028_164807 (2).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
No help with the steering wheel, its got one of those wood aftermarket wheels. The gas cap of course is closed in the pics. The reason I don't post pics is I'm an old man who is a clutz with computers. I don't know how. Not sure if I understand about the grill.
IMG_8173.pngIMG_8174.png
Red one has two vertical supports for the grill the other one has only one and is on the drivers side of the hood latch

Back